GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What cable is this and what does it do?

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway - What does this cable do?

The reason I ask, is because this is what's on the end of it. It's just a mangled mess of bare wire:

Does this have anything to do with the way it shifts? I'm just trying to figure out why my 1-2 shift is so firm and tight while the 2-3 shift is relatively sloppy at times.

And while I'm at it I might as well ask - If I adjust my TV cable at all from the position it was in when I bouight it, I cannot open the butterflies more than about 3/4 throttle. I didn't think to check that before I adjusted it, but I only moved it about 1/8" towards the carb, so it may not have open all the way before I adjusted it either.

Any thoughts on all of this?
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Sabotage!!! Sorry man, i have no idea other than a signal cable of some sort. are you running any mods on your truck right now, any intake or other mods that might affect the carb?

No, it's all stock lol. I mean the motor might be rebuilt, but as far as that goes everything is still bone stock.

Ok, odd. have you tried getting a manual for it?

DOH! I just remembered I have one of the Haynes manuals for the 88-98 trucks

Hmm... I'm not really seeing anything about whatever cable it may be. Either I'm not looking hard enough, or Haynes just doesn't have it lol.

Legend

Tranny kick down cable??
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I thought that was the top cable that crosses behind the cable I'm trying to identify? I could be wrong about that though lol.

Legend

Well it is easy to follow the throttle cable back to throw the firewall and to the pedal, not to mention that if you can still give it gas from the pedal then we know its not that. The bottom wire should be the return spring for the throttle body?

I'm pretty sure it's not the throttle cable. This cable, when you open up the throttle, just seems to uselessly slide in and out of the hole. If I open the throttle all the way and let it close real quick I can hear my gas pedal bouncing back up. I think the thottle cable is the one that is mounted to the top of the bracket on the TB and goes into the middle of the other bracket, if that makes sense.

'91 K1500 would have a 700R4 auto, right?

Off the top of my head, I can only think of three cables that would attach to the throttle plate: pedal, transmission kickdown cable (if it is indeed a 700R4), and cruise control cable.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by