GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2004 Trailblazer Tach and Speedometer gone crazy

I recently started having problems with the tach on my 2004 Trailblazer. The truck Idles normal but the tach reads 5,6 or 7,000rpms. Then it goes back to normal and then acts up again. I went on several websites and saw many with the same problem but most complaining about the speedometer. Well, just my luck now the speedometer sticks at times not going beyond 50 or 60mph. Sometimes when I come to a complete stop the speedometer shows 20 mph. The sites I visited say that its over $800.00 to fix. Does anyone know a simple remedy? If the battery was disconnected for a few hours would it reset? If there are so many complaints like I saw, why isn't there a recall?

Question GM to repair faulty instrument cluster stepper motors?

The NHTSA website does list a TSB:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : TRAILBLAZER Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Service Bulletin Number : 4486 Date of Bulletin :
    NHTSA Item Number : 10022914
    Component : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL
    From the wikipage: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...olet_silverado

Apparently GM sued Delphi and won a settlement in bankruptcy court. Check with your local dealer to see if you can get any assistance. If they don't help ask for a local GM contact regarding warranty/defect issues.

GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION - TO CADILLAC, CHEVROLET AND GMC DEALERS
    Subject:Bulletin GMP07-174 - Special Coverage Adjustment #07187- Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle FunctionMessage #:VSU20071575
    DESCRIPTION:
    SPECIAL COVERAGE Adjustment #07187- SEPTEMBER 28, 2007

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT.
    o Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.
    o This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
    o Refer to Special Coverage Adjustment #07187 for further information

EFFECTIVE DATE:
    Initial owner mailing is scheduled to begin: Phase 1 9-28-07

GENERAL INFORMATION:
    Instrument panel clusters (IPC) required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from the Electronic Service Centers. Refer to GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 1.5.9, for specific procedures. To eliminate keeping the customer's vehicle overnight, customers are being told to contact the dealership to arrange a service appointment and to supply their VIN. Dealers are to pre-order the IPC identifying the part from the Electronic Parts Catalog using the VIN filter so it will be at the dealership on the day of the scheduled appointment.
    o 1. The customer will contact the dealership to arrange an appointment and provide their VIN.
    2. Contact a GM Authorized Electronic Service Center to order an exchange and arrange for delivery of the pre-exchange product.
    3. All units will be shipped FedEx Ground.
    4. After removal of the defective unit, return the defective core to the Electronic Service Center using the supplied pre-paid Automatic Return shipping (ARS) label.
    5. Failure to return the product within 30 days to the Electronic Service Center will result in a charge to the Dealer's Open Parts Account.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    The NHTSA website does list a TSB:

From the wikipage: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a...olet_silverado

Apparently GM sued Delphi and won a settlement in bankruptcy court. Check with your local dealer to see if you can get any assistance. If they don't help ask for a local GM contact regarding warranty/defect issues.
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm still screwed because first of all it does not state Trailblazer and it says vehicles within 70,000 miles. I have 82,000. Just my luck. I guess it will stay that way cause I can't afford to blow 6 or 8 hundred dollars now especially for something they knew about. It worked out perfectly for them (GM). This is what they want, pretend the issues don't exist and then when finnaly so many complaints come out in the open they put these restrictions out which several thousand people would fall through the cracks just like it seems I do. Thats why I have no loyalty to any of these companies, and thats why these companies are going down the toilet.

Thumbs up How to replace a GM instrument cluster stepper motor

As a former Mustang owner I received a notice of settlement on a class action lawsuit. Ford settled out of court, admitted no wrong doing and offered me a coupon for a $500 discount on my next Ford automobile purchase. The lawyers got millions for legal fees. What a system. I emphasize with your predicament.

Here is a thread with some how to info: dieselpages.com
    If you want to consider replacing the stepper motors yourself check out this video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FIzqZYgHBw"]YouTube- GM INSTRUMENT PANEL REMOVAL REPAIR - PART 2 OF 2[/ame]

Default We can repair the speedometer, tachometer, fuel, oil, temp, volt

Hi All,
    We can repair the problems with the speedometer, tachometer, and gauge clusters.
    You can send the cluster to us or, We can come to your location and repair it onsite. (if you live in Oklahoma) We have very reasonable pricing and over 30 years experience in the Automotive/Aviation electronics industry.

www.tulsaspeedometer.webs.com

Thank you,
    J

What do you charge? How can I send it to you and get it back and install it myself when the speedometer needs to be reset?

If you remove cluster form truck and mail it to us we will replace bad stepper motors. $125.00 and
    shipping back to your location.If you are in the Tulsa, OK. area we will come to your location and remove and repair, then reinstall cluster, $150.00. Life time warranty.