GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 2001 silverado misfiring

I had the codes read on my 2001 Silverado 4x4 5.3L vortec. It was having power problems. Came up with a p0300 and o2 sensor. I replaced 02 sensor. Still had the p0300. Changed the fuel filter and no help. Took to a local mechanic. He ran it on his diagnostic computer. 2,4,6 and 8 cylinders are randomly misfiring. He checked the compression, its good on all cylinders. Changed sparkplugs, wires, coil packs, EGR valve and intake gaskets and the plugs are not fouling out either. Ran it on the diagnostics computer and checked the computer and all sensors. Everything is working. Basically, he has thrown parts at it, and not been able to fix it. He wants to take the heads off now and check the valves and the Head gaskets. Anyone ever heard of this? Also, cylinders 1.3.5 and 7 are fine. No problems.

Blog Entries

Take it somewhere else and get a second opinion. You sead he change all the coil packs but that was the culprit of the same symptoms on my 2001 Suburban 5.3. A good mechanic mncan check the voltage of each coil pack and find the dead one that is throwing the codes, mine did. I had to have the dealership find it the first time after throwing parts at it (fuel filter, plugs, wires).
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I forgot one crucial part, I'm stationed in Germany, and there are very few mechanics that know anything about the US vehicles.