GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11

    Default

    I am glad you got your problems solved. Good Work. All AWD owners can benefit from your solving the problem or at least figuring out what was up. Too bad you had to go through all that crap though. This should get stickied so others out there can get this answer.
    So it was a simple case of a lack of lubrication that kept burning up the transfer cases. Damn. I wonder why some folks didn't have trouble and you had more than your fair share?
    Bad luck I guess. I am sure your luck will change for the better.

  2. #12

    Default Possible Reason Why!!

    I wonder why some folks didn't have trouble and you had more than your fair share?

    The only explanation I can come up with in my head is that my van was always serviced by either GM or a big National Chain Service Provider....it started life as my company car. Anyway the manual says to fill it to within 1" of the fill hole, NOT TO THE FILL HOLE. So I assume that is what GM and the big national providers did.

    If you went under to change the fluid yourself and never read the instructions, my bet is most folks would fill it untill it ran out and plug it. In this way, you get whatever extra volume that extra inch of fluid creates and that may be just enough to help get some folks through. I'm not sure, but just a thought. This time it may have paid to NOT read the owners manual instructions.

  3. Thanks rpidude thanked for this post
  4. #13

    Default

    I just got my 2010. In the manual it says, "Add enough lubricant to raise the level to the bottom of the filler plug hole."

    dexron 6

  5. #14

    Default AWD GM van transfer case "overfull"

    I bought a 2004 Chevy Express AWD Explorer high top conversion van with 76,000 miles. Got the oil changed right when I bought it & the guy told me the transfer case was overfull.
    He drained a little out & said to keep track of whether it takes on more fluid by the next oil change. Drove it 5000 miles(added about 1 pint of engine oil), took it back to same place & they said the transfer case was overfull again. They said this means there is a bad seal between the transmission & the transfer case.
    According to the bulletin about the transfer case needing more fluid, this sounds like a good problem so fluid goes from the transmission to the transfer case & I think this may be happening in more vehicles & this keeps the transfer case from being starved for fluid & failing in more cases.
    Here's my question. If the seal is bad between the transmission & the transfer case, will too much fluid move in to the transfer case or will just enough go in there to keep it at the correct level? Will so much fluid go to the transfer case that it would get wrecked?
    Or is this a self limiting type problem?
    Thanks, Jim Eau Claire, WI

  6. #15

    Default Borg Warner 4473....another one...

    Have the exact same problem with my 2006 AWD Express 1500 Explorer van. 41K and the same Borg Warner 4473 transfer case went. I have a great mechanic who is handling it, but 4473 is a tough model to find. Fortunately, he found one. The problem for me is that he can't get the yoke out of the old case, so I have to buy a new (used) axle/yoke too. He's going to cut the yoke off so we can see what's going on inside, but I'm sure it's a mess. GM should recall these now....but they won't. Aburrob, you mention that GM did right by you. Any tips for when I bring this mess to the service counter? Thanks!

  7. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpidude View Post
    Have the exact same problem with my 2006 AWD Express 1500 Explorer van. 41K and the same Borg Warner 4473 transfer case went. I have a great mechanic who is handling it, but 4473 is a tough model to find. Fortunately, he found one. The problem for me is that he can't get the yoke out of the old case, so I have to buy a new (used) axle/yoke too. He's going to cut the yoke off so we can see what's going on inside, but I'm sure it's a mess. GM should recall these now....but they won't. Aburrob, you mention that GM did right by you. Any tips for when I bring this mess to the service counter? Thanks!

    I came armed with the information about the Tech Service Bulletin and threatened to go to a Ford or Dodge. As life would have it, I now own a 2014 Ram 1500 - love it and bought a Wrangler too. GM still sells the same old tired vans with no attention to detail whatsoever and 12 mpg. My new Ram gets 22 MPG back and forth to work. Hemi 5.7 with ZF 8 speed trans and loaded with other features. I love that truck.

  8. #17

    Default

    Were you able to get reimbursed? Did they do the work? Planning on going in armed to the teeth and just looking for any additional teeth I can get! Thanks!




    Quote Originally Posted by aburrob View Post
    I came armed with the information about the Tech Service Bulletin and threatened to go to a Ford or Dodge. As life would have it, I now own a 2014 Ram 1500 - love it and bought a Wrangler too. GM still sells the same old tired vans with no attention to detail whatsoever and 12 mpg. My new Ram gets 22 MPG back and forth to work. Hemi 5.7 with ZF 8 speed trans and loaded with other features. I love that truck.

  9. #18

    Default Final Resolution.

    Quote Originally Posted by rpidude View Post
    Were you able to get reimbursed? Did they do the work? Planning on going in armed to the teeth and just looking for any additional teeth I can get! Thanks!
    Rpidude: What they did was give me a voucher for $1500 towards a new GM vehicle. I figured that was the best I was going to do so I bought a 2011 Camaro SS RS. I mean I had $1500 with no other way to use it, what is a guy to do?? In reality they should have offered to reimburse me, but they did not and that is not even talking about the inconvenience costs.

    Today as a new RAM owner, Chrysler pounds me for information and genuinely wants to know my opinion. I bought a Dodge Journey in there too and let me say they have backed up their words with real cash too when I wasn't happy. That is a company that reinvented itself for the better.....just sayin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Transfer Case?
    By TXWagon in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 7
    Last: 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM
  2. 1996 Transfer case problems
    By bigbadbikerdude in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 1
    Last: 06-14-2010, 11:59 PM
  3. transfer case ID?
    By desertjoe in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last: 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM
  4. transfer case problems
    By vtman8 in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 3
    Last: 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM
  5. 1997 K2500 5.7 Transfer Case: impending problems?
    By eb2143 in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 0
    Last: 01-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •