GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Passenger Door Panel Removal

Hi everyone, I got a 96 GMC Sierra and it has a problem I've noticed a lot of other GMC's have. It started with the inside passenger door handle not working or barely working, you had to really pull on it and throw your shoulder into the door to get it to open, opens fine from the outside though. Then one day the door handle itself sheared off! I already removed the screws in the armrest and popped off the the ring around the lock and door handle as well as the power window control panel and the little triangle piece up by the mirror. But I cannot figure out how to get the rest of the door off. I know it involves popping those dang clips off but if theres a simple method for doing this let me know. Also, my remote entry will not unlock or lock the passenger side, to open it you have to use the key on the outside handle, the inside lock control will not lock or unlock it either. I imagine theres a few more GM's out there with these problems so let me know. Thanks!

Easiest way is with a trim removal tool. But, I have used a plastic spatula or a piece of plastic before too. Better have a few replacement clips on hand

'96 K1500, 5.7
    6" RCD
    35" Toyo M/T On 16" Black Raceline Raptors
    4.56 Yukon Gears w/ TruTrac Rear
    S&B CAI
    Dual Flowmaster 40's
    Camo Wet Okoles
    Line-X Bedliner
    De-Badged

NW BlackDiamond Edition

yeah, have some spare clips. If you don't have a spatula, use ur fingers and be careful.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Sr. Apprentice

Yeah the tool is the key here for the door panel. Pop them at the bottom and then the panel lifts up to come out of the guide at the base of the window section. THere are many site you can go to to get the tool I like http://www.lmctruck.com/ and on page 103 of the manual for your years truck is not only the tool but also the clips and also new door panels!!!

The keyless entry is most likely due to the failure of the motor or driver on the keyless entry. Just under the door latch in the bottom corner of all doors is a small motor with a gear track that activates when you hit the button. You could have a wiring issue, connector issue, motor failure or have stripped the gears on this unit. If it was the gears you should hear it whin and grind but not activate. If it makes no noise at all I would then look at the motor or wiring issues.

I have a tool made for that from Matco. It looks like a pair of pliers but when you grab the handles it opens the jaws separating the panel from the door. I found these work better than the slotted screwdriver type tools.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust