GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default OEM Nav or AM System?

Hey all,

I am new to the forums and just bought my first Chevy truck. It's awesome! A 2005 Suburban Z71. I did drive Jeeps for a long time cuz a family member works there, but was tired of them and wanted a real truck!

I have a problem with the factory nav/cd system on the truck. I already talked with the dealer and they said it would be a bout $500 to refurbish the nav/cd player. I know new ones are like 2k from GM - not happening!

So, what I was wondering is if I should stick with the factory GM nav/cd system or can I go with an AM system? I want to leave the option open of using the onstar system sometime in the future, but what I don't know is how the factory nav system ties into the onstar. Are AM systems able to utilize the onstar?

Thanks for any help!

A OEM is easier to integrate into the Truck.

After market has way more features and better sound.
    2003 2500 Avalanche with a few toys.

My vote is aftermarket, it will have increased capability and it should have better support than a factory system, just my vote

Quote Originally Posted by itmikeh View Post
    Hey all,

I am new to the forums and just bought my first Chevy truck. It's awesome! A 2005 Suburban Z71. I did drive Jeeps for a long time cuz a family member works there, but was tired of them and wanted a real truck!

I have a problem with the factory nav/cd system on the truck. I already talked with the dealer and they said it would be a bout $500 to refurbish the nav/cd player. I know new ones are like 2k from GM - not happening!

So, what I was wondering is if I should stick with the factory GM nav/cd system or can I go with an AM system? I want to leave the option open of using the onstar system sometime in the future, but what I don't know is how the factory nav system ties into the onstar. Are AM systems able to utilize the onstar?

Thanks for any help!

Aftermarket systems are able to use the onstar feature. You just need to buy a harness adapter for it. My vote is for the aftermarket. If you decide to stay with the factory check out the prices for the Nav unit on www.gmpartsclub.com
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Some aftermarket units have harddrives that can store music.So I just it's what features you want.
    2003 2500 Avalanche with a few toys.

Thanks for all the replies....I will prolly go with an aftermarket.

Cool OEM Nav or AM System

Check out Crutchfield.com for your aftermarket system.