GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 5.7 vortec how to carb

new to site but got acces to a free 5.7 vortec that runs good and need to know how hard itwould be to carb. and regular dist. this motor and install in 85 gmc

Cool 5.7 vortec how to carb

Edelbrock makes a intake carb manifold for that conversion. The vortec heads half a differant angle where the manifold mounts to the heads. I've seen MSD distributors installed on them but dont know what is involve. I'm sure MSDs tech line can help you.

Default gaskets

there is a edelbrock manifold for that engine just make sure you order the edelbrock manifold gaskets that match or you will have all kinds of problems they are not cheap but a must i have been through it already. and make sure you get the right crab that's another problem with that combo but one great running engine when finished

Quote Originally Posted by dutch4x4gmc View Post
    new to site but got acces to a free 5.7 vortec that runs good and need to know how hard itwould be to carb. and regular dist. this motor and install in 85 gmc
    Hey I did this swap into an 86 c20 about a year and a half a go. I've got a little write up about it in the classic c/k forum if you need it, or any questions let me know. These guys are right though the angle on the heads are different so you do need a vortec intake manifold. I ordered one through summit racing, as for the distributor I used a new stock HEI distributor that was for the 86 model engine it was replacing. I have an edelbrock 1406 carb sitting on top of it all with an electronic fuel pump. The motor performs awesome in the ol truck. Before i swapped it over to 4wd i had 29" tires, 700r4 transmission, and 3.73 gears. on the hwy i got a consistent 20 mpg and even pulling my 19 ft bowrider boat i got 17 mpg back and forth from the lake. like i said any questions let me know, good kuck.
    Bailey, KS

86 K10 Extended cab