GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Spark Plugs 101

Default Spark Plugs 101

Anyone out there pulled their plugs on a 03 - 06 Z71? Is there some tool you need to pull off the wires or do you just need to muscle them off? They were fairly easy to pull on my 98 Z71, but these seem really on there good. Also, do you need to pull off the metal housing around the wire plug, or just the plug itself? Thx for any help!

I have seen pliers specially made to remove the boots of the spark plug wires from the plug itself, but, you can just muscle them off. They are usually snapped on pretty good. I know you have limited space in that general area but it helps when you are trying to pull them off if you can rotate the boot back and forth. Also, the metal housing in the plug boot stays there and your new set of wires will come with them also already in place. If they happen to disconnect from the wire and stay on the spark plug you can remove it with a set of needle nose pliers, unless you are changing out plugs as well, then you dont have to worry bout it.
    Last edited by chev294; 01-23-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    )(

They stick pretty good go with the twist Chev mentioned. And the metal heat shields around plug wire stays they make it a little ruff getting new plugs lined up and started make sure you dont get grease or gunk blocking the path of the electrode and ground while putting the new plugs in

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Ya'll were a lot of help, I appreciate it. Twisting and pulling hard I'm finding is the best method. 4 down, 4 to go. Went to my local NAPA store and they had the plugs, but no AC Delco wires. Went with Autolie wires. Maybe not quite as good, but hopefully not being made in China they'll do ok. Thx again.

alright go back to napa and return those wires and get the Belden premium wires but you need to know what number is stamped on your coils it will either be 12558693 for melco or mitsubishi coils or 19005218 for delphi ingnition

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

I just picked up a set of AC Delco plugs and wires. The plugs are platinum, do they need to be gapped? if so what should they be gapped to?

2001 Sierra 4x4 V8 4.8L - Daily Driver
    2004 Mustang SVT Cobra 450rwhp 472rwtq - summer toy

RAF, it should say the specified gaping on the sticker which is on the air intake lid.
    )(

Thanks guys.
    I installed the plugs last week, the gap is supposed to be 60, I measured a few of the plugs and they were all at 60 so I put them in.

Funny thing tho the truck runs the same, not 100% smooth at idle but drives perfect like it always did.
    It had AC Delco platnum plugs in it but the wires were aftermarket (from the last owner)

I put in ac delco plugs and wires so hopefully the problem is solved, I will know later this week if the check engine light comes back on. If it does Im going to snap!

2001 Sierra 4x4 V8 4.8L - Daily Driver
    2004 Mustang SVT Cobra 450rwhp 472rwtq - summer toy