GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starts and dies

Question starts and dies

I have a 98 GMC K1500 4x4 5.7 it will start then die after a second or so. My security light goes off the fuel pump will run , I replaced the fuel filter ,checked the relays in the fuse box and nothing changes. My oil pressure reaches about 40 or so before it dies at around a 1000 rpm I have not checked the mass air flow sensor and I did check the crankshaft position sensor, looked at and cleaned the dist cap and rotor. Any suggestions would be great . I have not checked the fuel pressure yet either. I looked at the mass air sensor , it looked fine and I also sprayed starting fluid into the air inlet after the air filter and tried starting the truck and it ran twice as long until it ran out of the fluid I am thinking my fuel pump is either weak or the filter in the tank is pluged . Still looking.
    Last edited by paidtofit; 01-23-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: update

Is the security light flashing

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

No my security light comes on when I turn the ignition on and shuts off after maybe 30secs to a minute and my key is just a plain key without a security chip in it that I can see. I tried my diagnostic reader and it has a linking failure and won't tell me any codes.

Might want to see how much fuel pressure you have.

'96 K1500, 5.7
    6" RCD
    35" Toyo M/T On 16" Black Raceline Raptors
    4.56 Yukon Gears w/ TruTrac Rear
    S&B CAI
    Dual Flowmaster 40's
    Camo Wet Okoles
    Line-X Bedliner
    De-Badged

NW BlackDiamond Edition

I was able to check my pressure and it is almost 70# when I first turn my key on and the pump runs a few seconds and shuts off. Then as soon as it shuts off my pressure starts dropping to zero. When I turn the key over and start the truck it is around 60 - 65 # and drops to zero after my truck dies . Not sure if my check valve is bad and it won't keep pressure? Hopefully it's not my pressure regulator . Any clues as to where I should look further ?

you probaly have it fixed by now but you might check your oil pressure sender

Did you fix this? My 97 Suburban 5.7 has a similar issue.

Default starts and dies

Quote Originally Posted by jamesretzolk View Post
    you probaly have it fixed by now but you might check your oil pressure sender
    No I haven't fixed it yet , but where do you find the oil pressure switch since it might just be a bad connection? Cause something is basically telling my fuel pump to not to run after the initial run when you turn the key. I tried doing some searching for the switch on the internet but I can't find location just ones they want to sell me. Any help would be great. Thanks Ken

No I am still trying to fix it seems like my fuel pump isn't being told to run once my truck starts. If that might be security issues , or an oil pressure switch , or a bad computer module ( hope not) or what the problem is I am not sure . I am laid off right now and can't afford to throw money at parts that are not broke to chase down loose ends. I am still looking at it and will post if I find something out. Please do likewise as the dealerships just want me to bring it in for them to fix. Thanks Ken

Have you tried a relearn- go to crank pos- release.-leave key in on pos. wait till security light goes out-- repeat -- dont go to the off pos. during this, might take three times

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast