GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default I striped the rims and buffed out before the repaint in October.

I used spray on paint stripper on the rims then I painted the between the big spokes flat black and buffed out. If you ever wondered about doing this here is how mine came out. I'm very happy with mine paint and all. I'm also very happy with my new paint job, truck was repainted in October 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1574.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	58956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1583.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	58958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1575.jpg 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	58959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1584.jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	58957
    Last edited by kennythewelder; 05-14-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Those look good, did you use any type of preservative on the aluminium after buffing?

Thanks, no I just keep them waxed with meguairs clearner wax, same as I use on the truck, once I striped them with paint striper then I painted the flat black on them, and after the paint dried over night, I used a buffer and some polishing compound to shine them up, then I waxed them. That's it.
    Last edited by kennythewelder; 05-17-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Looks good, mine need done big time....Did you have to sand pits and corrosion out?........What about the caps, did you buff them too?

1997 GMC

Default buffed out rims

My rims didn't have any deep pits only little ones like where old wheel weights were, so I didn't sand anything, as for the caps it looks to me that they are stainless wrapped plastic. They were the easy part. I shined them up with the polishing compound after I removed them by just holding them in one hand. Maybe 5 min. per cap. I even waxed them before reinstalling. I'd half to say that tapping the rims to paint the flat black was the hardest part of the whole project.
    Last edited by kennythewelder; 05-19-2014 at 09:56 PM.