GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default "TOTAL" on car history

Sooo i bought a 1989 chevy 1500 4x4 shorbed about a year ago. Much to my dismay i found that it had been totaled at 198,000 miles when i pulled the carfax last week. I was in the process of restoring it, and was kind of bummed to find this out.
    I guess my question is should i bag it and move on or is it that big of a deal? The frame is perfectly straight and everything but it does have 225,000. On the chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Porter148 View Post
    Sooo i bought a 1989 chevy 1500 4x4 shorbed about a year ago. Much to my dismay i found that it had been totaled at 198,000 miles when i pulled the carfax last week. I was in the process of restoring it, and was kind of bummed to find this out.
    I guess my question is should i bag it and move on or is it that big of a deal? The frame is perfectly straight and everything but it does have 225,000. On the chassis.
    depends if any rust is appearing but that can be fixed as well along as every thing is straight why worry do your build strip down to frame and start fresh , wouldnt rely on carfax anyways my wife sells gm's and says carfax is a joke they dont use that up here in canada its not reliable

If the parts are useable and your restoring it the Total designation shouldnt matter.
    The only time this will affect you is if the vehicle has a bent frame or you plan on reselling it.

Blog Entries

HOLD ON A SECOND! Being "totaled" does not neccesarily mean anything is wrong with it structurally or mechanically. Being totaled only means that the insurance company was not prepaired to spend the money it would take to restore a car. this could mean many things including light water damage,hail damage, and theft. Too many people think a total means it's been in some horrific crash and then rebuilt and that the car will fall apart in 6 months and kill you. The problem with carfax is it almost never gives the details on why it was totaled. If you're worried about the frame, get it checked by a shop and if the numbers are right I wouldn't hesitate driving it.

Hope this was helpful and not too long winded. I'm a bodyshop tech. trust me, I do this all the time.
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

Big75 is absolutly right, I drive a 1990 silverado with the same problem, I bought the truck and found out it had a salvage title and had been totaled out, the only reason the insurance company "totaled" it was because somebody had stolen the truck and ripped out and destroyed most of the interior, and the original owner bought back the truck from the insurance company, leaving it with a salvage title. doesnt mean anything is wrong with it. depending on why it was totaled some places may inspect it when you go to get tags, but i wouldnt be to worried about it, go ahead and finish your project, Good luck
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

did the title not say salvaged when you baught it?
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

Basically, the way you have to look at it is, how much was the truck actually worth at the time they totaled it. They total vehicles when the repair gets around 75% of the value of the vehicle. With that much mileage the truck probably wasn't worth a whole lot so it wouldn't really take much to total it. I would say as long as the frame looks good, I wouldn't worry about anything else.