GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Terrible MPG

Default Terrible MPG

alright so i had posted another thread like this a few weeks ago and as you know i get 7 MPG in the city. i have a 2000 1500 silverado with 305/70/16 with stock gearing im pretty sure. i have changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, Oil, seafoamed, and got a CAI for it. and i am still doing 200 miles per tanks which is 26gal i believe. so still the same 7 MPG. im really stuck on this and would really like to get the MPGs up.

thanks guys, gas prices these days have been killing me and im only 16

Idk what may be causing the low mileage, but you do have a 26 gallon tank. Good luck with the gas, I'm 17 and i ended up buying a compact 2wd pickup because i couldn't afford the gas even with a 4wd S10. Good luck man

haha you and me both. i might be switching with my dad and drive the truck on the weekends

I would check a few other things. I just recently discovered my IAC valve was DEAD, showed no ohms on the resistance check. I assume this was killing my MPG, infact I just seafoamed my 95 cheyenne tonight (just got back)and did a good short highway drive. After the replacing of the IAC, I've noticed a big increase to response. No numbers yet to compare MPG gain.

Be aware also that "driving habits" are a contributing factor to MPG...but hell I love to gun it at LEAST every once in awhile.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vehicles owned:
    1995 Chevy Cheyenne 4.3L V6
    1972 Chevy C-10 (on storage lot, fathers but part of the family chevys!)

Sr. Engineer

Fuel pump, fuel filter, clean MAF and throttle body. Spark plugs can also be a culprit.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

have you checked your O 2 censors? if one of those are bad that could be the reason why

Seafoam EVERYTHING, check the gap on you plugs, and whatever else everyone has said.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

it shouldnt be the O2 sensors. i hope not. i mean i havent got a engine check light. i cleaned the throttle body also. seafoamed everything besides the oil cuz i had just changed it before i found out about that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post
    I would check a few other things. I just recently discovered my IAC valve was DEAD, showed no ohms on the resistance check. I assume this was killing my MPG, infact I just seafoamed my 95 cheyenne tonight (just got back)and did a good short highway drive. After the replacing of the IAC, I've noticed a big increase to response. No numbers yet to compare MPG gain.

Be aware also that "driving habits" are a contributing factor to MPG...but hell I love to gun it at LEAST every once in awhile.

what and where is the IAC valve? how do i know if mine is alright?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post

I'd have to give this some thought. I get 16-17 in the summer and around 11 in the winter. Tend to spin the tires a bit more and hit higher rpm coming off each light. Suppose if you live where it doesn't snow that doesn't matter. And how much of this is city driving???
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by