GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Question about TPMS for New Wheels?

I have a new vehicle on order it comes with TPMS but I want new chrome wheels.
    I know little about TPMS.

#1.) Will the TPMS that comes on the stock OE wheel work with ANY new wheel?

#2.) I am buying chrome wheels. I want chrome valve stems. Can I remove the valve stems from the TPMS and replace them with chrome ones?

#3.) What do I need to do to set up the NEW chrome wheels with TPMS.

#4.) Will I need to buy new TPMS? What is the cheapest way to set up the new wheels?
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 01-26-2010 at 08:58 PM.

You can re-use your sensors on your new rims. I re-used mine when I bought my aftermarket rims. I can't answer the rest of your questions though, the shop I bought the rims and tires from swapped my sensors over for me.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

just buy new ones ,i left mine in my stock rims that i use for winter and bought news ones for my new rims ididnt fing them that exp but then my wife works for a gm dealer ,

Yeah I have heard they could be swapped out but I was wondering if they would work on any wheel. I was looking to buy new wheels online and then tires locally. I will call a tire store and get the skinny on what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by canislupis69 View Post
    You can re-use your sensors on your new rims. I re-used mine when I bought my aftermarket rims. I can't answer the rest of your questions though, the shop I bought the rims and tires from swapped my sensors over for me.

If the ones I already have will work I would just swap them if it is possible. I don't want to spend $250+ for new ones if I don't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by TWODOGS View Post
    just buy new ones ,i left mine in my stock rims that i use for winter and bought news ones for my new rims ididnt fing them that exp but then my wife works for a gm dealer ,

Well I spoke with Les Schwab and Discount Tire and they say they can be swapped out. When doing this they said you might need a new rubber grommet/gasket thing if they press fit in which is only a few bucks a wheel.
    Also you are stuck with the valve stems. They don't have nice fancy chrome valve stems for these TPMS. So if that's the way it is I am good with that.

Just make sure you keep them in the same location or do a "relearn" so the truck knows where each one is at. Also just a heads up, but when I bought my rims and swapped out my sensors, one of the sensors went bad after about 300 miles. The place where I bought my rims replaced the sensor for free.

There are 3 types of tpms that you will run into 1 snap in, 2 clamp in, 3 banded senors......

1st snap in has a normal rubber valve with a tpms screwed to the bottom of the valve! Mostly on chevy and Gmc products!

2nd clamp in tpms valve is a alloy stem which in most cases, is built into valve, it connects to wheel by a washer and nut, very vuranable to beaking in my opion a freakin pain in the ass!!! Found on all the major vehicles chevy ford dodge toyota nissan ext ext!!

3rd Banded tpms the sensor is held to wheel by a band( hose clamp band) senors is alway going to be 180 degrees from valve unless altered by some one! Uses normal rubber valve

All sensors can be switched from wheel to wheel(be advised you need to always rebuild sensors when dealing with clamp in!!!) Banded sensors will requirer new bands purchased and any major tire dealship!! Check out Discount Tire professional and fast usally have in stock!!!

Most after market and O.E wheels are built to recieve tpms, some after market wheel will not always check with the manufacter!!

As far as chrome stem gos snap in valve yes and banded sensor yes clamp in your screwed!!
    Hope this helps

This TPMS stuff seems like a bit of a pain in the ass.

ALSO I know the crap tires that the vehicle comes with are likely to be passenger General Ameritrac's which I have read a pure garbage and they have a PSI of 44 .
    I want to go to a LT tire like a BFG T/A Ko which has a PSI of 80.
    What do I have to do here with going to a higher psi tire?
    Can I reset the system to recognize the higher psi tire?

Sr. Engineer

I don't know if the TPMS can be reprogrammed to a different pressure or not. But you don't have to run the maximum tire pressure shown on the sidewall either. I've got cooper stt's that have a heavier load rating and can be run at 80psi, I've been keeping them between 42-45psi. I did try upping the pressure when I was pulling a car hauler and anything over 55psi will set off a warning that says "check tire pressure" every time you start the truck, it gets annoying real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by