GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default those nasty knock sensors

hello, anyone ever changed coded knock sensors just to have them code a few days later? mine are new and now have both coded again. my truck is a 2003 gm 3/4 ton 4by, 279000kms. of coarse i've checked the harness for issues, don't see any visible ones. i not sure where to go next. i'd be gratful for any advise. thanks

I have heard of sensors going bad and "spiking" the computer. You then replace the sensor only to have this happen again but now instead of a bad sensor there is a "spike" in the computer which ruins a new sensor. I am not sure if this can happen with a knock sensor and "spike" is not the technical term for what I was told happened to my G/F's car but the situation is the same. I had to replace the computer to fix the problem.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

dealing with the same issue except my code just went away and i didn't replace anything. The GM tech at the service garage told me that my intake gasket was worn allowing water get in and mess with sensors and harness. Is there anything loose that could be rattling on your motor? Maybe something is causing vibration that shouldn't and keeps setting off the sensors.
    Just a yank in the heart of DIXIE

Usually when a knock sensor code sets it's not a bad knock sensor. I see people change knock sensors for no good reason quite frequently. The code sets when the sensor hears a knock and the PCM trys to quiet it by retarding the timing. If the knock is still there after the timing has been retarded the code sets. Any noise belts, tensioners, lifters, exhaust, boom boxes will set knock sensor codes.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by tattooed4life View Post
    I have heard of sensors going bad and "spiking" the computer. You then replace the sensor only to have this happen again but now instead of a bad sensor there is a "spike" in the computer which ruins a new sensor. I am not sure if this can happen with a knock sensor and "spike" is not the technical term for what I was told happened to my G/F's car but the situation is the same. I had to replace the computer to fix the problem.
    GM PCMs have self protected drivers that act as circuit breakers to prevent a shorted sensor from damaging the PCM.

thanks for the info. i do have a ticking idler and squeeking belt. i'll change these things and see what happens.