GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What is a good spray on bed liner?

I want to undercoat my truck. cab, bed, under the bed,frame rails, wheel wells etc. I want to spray it on with a siphon feed spray gun bought at harbor break (freight) tools.

I figure it makes the most sense to spray it with a gun compared to using all rattle cans. Its a lot of area to cover and want it to lay down somewhat even - i.e using a spray gun

Does anyone know of a good spray on undercoat?

Thanks for looking
    -Dan
    '00 1500 4x4 4.8l
    single glasspack
    daily driver/workhorse

I've preferred the housebrand at Autozone, its about $5 a bottle and works wonder. It leaves a nice black cover and hasn't warn off yet! That is within a 9 month frame... I do reccommend you let it sit 24 hours to let it completely dry before driving around.
    - Kevin :yipi:

"I need help" is a common phrase....and I use it alot! LOL.

The best in my opinion, is Rhino Linings. This obviously won't be the cheapest, but it is strong and durable for a bed liner. Also, for undercoating, 3M offers an undercoat that is pretty good, but I haven't used it. I got my undercoat done by a local shop.
    Last edited by mkruluts; 01-29-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Sr. Apprentice

http://www.grizzlygrip.com/boats.asp for the do it your selfer, or go to a rhino liner dealer. Make sure you do some research because not every shop does a good job installing the bedliner coating. I have herd some complain about the rhino liner being too soft and peeling easy, but that just means it was installed incorrectly. I have rhino lining on my truck and it is rock solid. Line x is another popular brand...
    2003 Silverado LS 1500 Xcab 5.3 vortec 3.73 rear.
    2000 Artic White Buick Regal GS, 3.4 pulley, 3"dp, 13.81 @ 101 (sold)
    2002 Z28 Camaro, 1sc, a4, slp lid, headers, cb exhaust, 3.73

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kev409 View Post
    I've preferred the housebrand at Autozone, its about $5 a bottle and works wonder. It leaves a nice black cover and hasn't warn off yet! That is within a 9 month frame... I do reccommend you let it sit 24 hours to let it completely dry before driving around.

They have a gun made just for that. Don't use an old syphon or an HVLP, you need like a 4.0 tip to spay that crap out. and you need an air source of at least 8 cfm at 29psi.
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

Rhino Linings... http://www.rhinolinings.com/index.php

truck buddies of mine have used this on theirs, and it is awesome... one of the guys had even used his truck to cart around cinder blocks, and they didn't even make a mark on the stuff... heh...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Anyone have any thoughts on rustoleum bed liner? I should mention that i have a bed liner, its plastic. But i want to take it out, line the actual bed itself (ive heard the slide in liners can trap water and cause corrosion) spray a bed liner, the put the plastic one back in. Also i plan to spray it underneath my truck too!
    thanks for looking
    -Dan

i'd go with a LINE-X theyre liners have dupont kevlar in them to eliminate fading, garenteed for life. all of our work trucks have them and no problems compared to rhino liner
    2008 CHEVY 2500HD CREW CAB 4x4 LS 6.0L

VOLANT COLD AIR INTAKE
    RECON SMOKED CAB ROOF LIGHTS
    RECON LED INTERIOR DOME CONVERSION
    GIBSON SIDE SWEPT EXHAUST
    RBP 4 1/2 EXHAUST TIP

I can testify that the Rhinoliner franchise isn`t the best out there, price-wise. In my experience, they`ll stand by their job, if you are able to go back to the place that does the job. I recommend the one in Mountainside, NJ, right on RT, 22, if you`re in that area. I had my bed shot there. They offer a number of options, price-wise- bed only, bed with the edge covering where the stake holes are, and any other place you want shot- wheel wells, tailgate, underbody, use your imagination, of course the price is commensurate. As to reliability, don`t bet the farm on it! I am very careful with the amount of abuse I lay on my truck. I found that the Rhinolining is very prone to chipping. My bed needed minor repair within a year. However, when I moved to Pennsylvania from NJ, I could not find a franchise that would honor the warranty. The NJ guys were more than willing to re-shoot the bed, at no charge, but I had to drive about 135 miles, one way, to get the job done, plus I had to wait for the coating to cure enough to be able to drive back home safely. I paid about $550 for the initial job. I`m satisfied overall, but it did chip in numerous places. I think that the sheetmetal in todays trucks is not as sturdy as the older trucks, and as such, will not stand up. The coatings offered today can only be judged on the strength of the surfaces they are applied to.