GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what can I truly expect from a programmer

I have a 2006 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 with 5.3. I am looking at getting a programmer for it to improve my MPG. What can I truly expect to get for an increase in MPG on 87 octane in a otherwise stock truck without losing performance? Also, what programmer is getting the best for this? Thanks

well, I know with the diablosport predator, you'll gain about 20 hp/tq, better throttle response and acceleration, and get about 2-3 more mpg - provided you can keep your foot out of the throttle LOL

and once you go through and get your fueling adjusted correctly - getting your long term fuel trims in the 0 to -2 range by adjusting your injector slope (it's easy) - you'll gain even more throttle response, quicker acceleration, stronger/harder pull, and better mileage as well.

I've had one for my car, and I know a LOT of people that have them for their cars and trucks, and this has been the case for ALL of them...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

are those gains from just plugging the programmer in and selecting a certain program? that is what I am looking for, being able to select a program on it and running it like that. when you say getting my fueling adjusted correctly, do you mean I have to take it to a dyno, or is that something that I can easily do myself? thanks

yes, those gains are from plugging it in to your obd port, selecting the diablo performance tune and installing it...

as for the adjustments, you can do some data logs to see what your average long term fuel trims are reading, and then you can modify the tune yourself using the predator... make an injector adjustment and install the modified tune to your truck, and done.

it's easy...

here's a write-up on diablo's forum about how to do it:

http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...iewtopic&t=917

you can adjust all kinds of things yourself, using just the predator... such as:

Timing Table 2000-4000rpm (+15/- 20%)

Timing Table 4000-7000rpm (+15/- 20%)

Fuel Table 2000-4000rpm (+/- 20%)

Fuel Table 4000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)

Idle (+ 500rpm / -300rpm)

Speed Limiters

Rev Limiters

RPM Shift Points

MPH Up and Downshifts

Shift Timing

Shift Pressure

Cooling Fan ON and OFF temperatures

Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes

Upshift torque reduction (all gears) ON/OFF

Adjust for different injector size

Adjust COT enable temperature
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 01-30-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

just checking one last time. the diablosport predator will come with an 87 octane economy tune on it? I was on rpmoutlet's site and it doesn't show anything for 87 octane? thanks

make sure the programmer will let you go back to original settings. in case you dont like what you set up , one thin is fill up with the mid level gas 89 oct that will help.i think your gas is a lttle beter in sconni then minnesota we have so many clean burn additives it hurts your milage

Quote Originally Posted by wiesmanr View Post
    just checking one last time. the diablosport predator will come with an 87 octane economy tune on it? I was on rpmoutlet's site and it doesn't show anything for 87 octane? thanks
    yes, the trucks get the Performance Tune (made for 91/93 octane), plus an 87 octane tune...
    06MonteSS

Quote Originally Posted by scrappiedew1 View Post
    make sure the programmer will let you go back to original settings. in case you dont like what you set up , one thin is fill up with the mid level gas 89 oct that will help.i think your gas is a lttle beter in sconni then minnesota we have so many clean burn additives it hurts your milage
    yes, the predator lets you reset all parameters back to the original preset diablo tune settings - so if you make adjustments to the tune, you can either go back in to modify the tune and put the individual setting back to where it was before, or you can reset all parameters and it will put ALL adjustments you previously made back to the original settings that the tune came with when you first installed it...

and it also allows you to restore your original backup stock GM tune any time you want...
    06MonteSS

this is EXACTLY what i want. is it possible to store 2 different tunes in the diablo? i need one for towing nad one for just street driving. im starting from scratch here with my 03 z71. should i add other mods before i add the tuner, or doen it not matter?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    yes, the predator lets you reset all parameters back to the original preset diablo tune settings - so if you make adjustments to the tune, you can either go back in to modify the tune and put the individual setting back to where it was before, or you can reset all parameters and it will put ALL adjustments you previously made back to the original settings that the tune came with when you first installed it...

and it also allows you to restore your original backup stock GM tune any time you want...
    the monte u have is very sharp ,troopers up here are using impala ss now witht the 5.3 and doge chargers not sure if tey all have the hemi ,good looking car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast