GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery Straps

Default Recovery Straps

Is a 2 inch 20,000 lbs enough?
    or is a 3" the better way to go.

I never owned or used one.
    My vehicle will be a 1500 savana.

depends on what your tugging with and against 3" straps are insanely strong but a b!tch to store and i've only broken one 2" strap and that was really hitting a f-250 bellied out in deep mud with 38's (and not a ckecker strap good doubled and stiched 2" the cheap ones are not what they claim)
    Last edited by azdrtdog; 02-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Well like I said I have a Savana and would imagine if I get stuck the basic 1/2 to 1 ton pickup or 4X4, van or vehicle would be towing me out or I them.
    They have both 2 and 3 " 30 footers at 4Wheelparts.com for less than $30 or so.
    So a 2" er is plenty huh? It would be like $8 cheaper than a 3".
    Also is 20 feet enough or would you recommend 30?

Quote Originally Posted by azdrtdog View Post
    depends on what your tugging with and against 3" straps are insanely strong but a b!tch to store and i've only broken one 2" strap and that was really hitting a f-250 bellied out in deep mud with 38's (and not a ckecker strap good doubled and stiched 2" the cheap ones are not what they claim)

I'm always a fan of bigger is better with strap width, I've only broken 2 2" in over 30 years of wheeling and they both had wear spot where they broke. If you can afford the extra go with the bigger one, it can also be used as a tree saver because of the width.Length is a whole different issue that is determined by the terraign your stuck in usually.
    Make sure to get loops and anything else you need to attach the strap to the truck.
    A clevis pin through the hitch works great.

I've been meaning to ask about these myself. My understanding is the difference between recovery straps and tow straps is that recovery straps stretch, which is why they are to be used to pull a stuck vehicle, and tow straps do not stretch which is why they are meant to pull a vehicle that is not "stuck" but just needs a tow. Do recovery straps only refer to pulling out of mud, or would they be used to pull someone out of snow, or a ditch? I'm looking to build up an emergency kit for my truck, and wonder what kind of strap I should have in case I ever need to pull someone out of snow or a ditch. I don't plan to do a lot of mudding, at least not in my truck's current stock state. Also, I've heard that straps with looped ends are recommended over hooks, does everyone agree? I see tbplus recommends a clevis hitch, which would make sense for a looped end.

Sorry for the long-winded question, just want to get the right strap to be prepared to help people out. If anyone knows of any other good resources for all of this info, I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
    Truck: 2005 GMC Sierra SLT
    Toy: 2006 Honda 599

A recovery strap is just that,something has gone wrong and now the recovery begins be it ditch,mud, cliff. A tow strap is the same width at times but not as thick or beefy and I associate them with hooks not loops loops make a strap very strong ot the attachment points when used with pintles or shackles. A snatch strap when used correctly is desinged to stretch out like a bungee and let the wieght of the other vehicle move the load instead of traction in sloppy messes where there is none but are weaker an prone to moisture and uv rays

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

I'm going to get a D ring and a locking pin for it and leave it in the hitch.
    The 3" is only $8 more so cost isn't an issue.
    What do you mean by "tree saver".

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I'm always a fan of bigger is better with strap width, I've only broken 2 2" in over 30 years of wheeling and they both had wear spot where they broke. If you can afford the extra go with the bigger one, it can also be used as a tree saver because of the width.Length is a whole different issue that is determined by the terraign your stuck in usually.
    Make sure to get loops and anything else you need to attach the strap to the truck.
    A clevis pin through the hitch works great.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm
    http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ing/snatch.htm

They say not to attach the recovery strap to a pin or to loop it through the hitch and to use a D ring instead.
    If you use a pin and the strap angles against the hitch that could cut it.
    And recovery straps can of course be used to pull someone out of sand or snow.

Quote Originally Posted by GMClone View Post
    I see tbplus recommends a clevis hitch, which would make sense for a looped end.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 02-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.

I use a 3" with a shackle attached to my hitch stinger....Never had an issue... And Ive pulled out tons of stuck Fords at the river!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'96 K1500, 5.7
    6" RCD
    35" Toyo M/T On 16" Black Raceline Raptors
    4.56 Yukon Gears w/ TruTrac Rear
    S&B CAI
    Dual Flowmaster 40's
    Camo Wet Okoles
    Line-X Bedliner
    De-Badged

NW BlackDiamond Edition

My vote goes for the 2" for now, unless you are adding 48" tires!
    Otherwise, the 3" will probably be enough for your needs.

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast