GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default programmer or chip?

i know the programmer can do more things like change shift points, firmness and everything but why do people get the chips when they can just get the programmer?

which one is better? pro and cons?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I bought a JET chip stage 2 for my S-10, but I haven't put it on yet. Programmers are nice and everything, but realistically most people don't really use them to there full potential. I bought the chip because it piggy backs the PCM, and it goes through a learn cycle and utilizes parameters for optimum performance. It is idiot proof pretty much, you get about the same thing out of a programmer except you have to do all the dirty work.

a programmer, like the diablo predators, is MUCH more flexible than a "chip"...

it allows you to make adjustments to your tune, to dial it in properly for your vehicle, to accomodate for future mods, offers data logging, can restore the original stock tune to the ecm when needed - like if taking the vehicle in for warranty/service work, etc etc etc...

with a chip, you're stuck with whatever programming they put on it, which is generic and not dialed in optimally for your specific vehicle setup.

and newer vehicles don't use "chips" - the ecm's are flash-based...

go with a programmer...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

so they both do about the same?
    or does the programmer give me more power?

no, they don't do the same thing... programmers like the diablo predator do a lot more... are a lot more flexible, and will give you more adjustability, power and ability to get things dialed in more for your vehicle and mods...

plus, you can also get a custom tune for a diablo predator, made specifically for your vehicle, based on data logs - that will give you even better performance over the canned preset tunes...

with a "chip", you're stuck with whatever they give you, you can't change/adjust things yourself to make it any better for your vehicle...

I don't know what year your silverado is, but if it's a 2006, with a predator you have the ability to make adjustments yourself to all of these things:

Timing Table 2000-4000rpm (+15/- 20%)

Timing Table 4000-7000rpm (+15/- 20%)

Fuel Table 2000-4000rpm (+/- 20%)

Fuel Table 4000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)

Idle (+ 500rpm / -300rpm)

Speed Limiters

Rev Limiters

RPM Shift Points

MPH Up and Downshifts

Shift Timing

Shift Pressure

Cooling Fan ON and OFF temperatures

Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes

Upshift torque reduction (all gears) ON/OFF

Adjust for different injector size

Adjust COT enable temperature

try doing that with just a plug-in "chip"... heh...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 02-01-2010 at 08:17 AM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

ohh i never knew you can get custom tunes for a programmer. how would i get one if i bought the predator? how much would it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1500 View Post
    ohh i never knew you can get custom tunes for a programmer. how would i get one if i bought the predator? how much would it cost?
    you can't for all handheld programmers... but you can with a Predator...

I will PM you...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 02-01-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    06MonteSS

Cool programmer or chip?

I use the Diablo programmer and love it. Take your time and learn all the fine tuning you can do with it. If you buy a standard Diablo and then if you make a major mod. you can buy a custom tune from one of the Diablo dealers and they can send the tune over the internet.