GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Need input

Default Need input

Hello all, I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 52000 miles on it and the local auto care where I get tires and oil changes is recommending a "Transmission Fluid Flush". I have heard too many horror stories about this procedure and would like some advice on whether I should do it or just get the standard trans change. They also recommended a "Flush Brake System" and I still have more than 1/2 left on the pads.
    Thanks

Go with the flush on the Transmission and have them drop the pan and put in a New Filter and have them flush the Brake fluid.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Go with the flush on the Transmission and have them drop the pan and put in a New Filter and have them flush the Brake fluid.
    I think it is a good idea to have it done!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Thanks. Nice looking truck. I have a friend with the same year and it has 250,000 miles on it and running strong.

I recomend a drain and fill. No flush, most mecanics I know personally don't recomend the flush.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

This is what I had done to my truck when i bought it, and I'm glad I did.

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Quote Originally Posted by lars27 View Post
    Thanks. Nice looking truck. I have a friend with the same year and it has 250,000 miles on it and running strong.
    Thanks......I have 140,000 miles.....and it run's Great!!!!......

Your under 52,000mi, you will be fine. I get only get nervous when I doing a virgin flush at over 100,000mi. I will recommend a flush over a pan drop and filter any day of the week. I've been a tech for eight years.

Quote Originally Posted by lars27 View Post
    Hello all, I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 52000 miles on it and the local auto care where I get tires and oil changes is recommending a "Transmission Fluid Flush". I have heard too many horror stories about this procedure and would like some advice on whether I should do it or just get the standard trans change. They also recommended a "Flush Brake System" and I still have more than 1/2 left on the pads.
    Thanks
    The most important thing to do is to change the filter. The filter clogs up with grime over a period of time and as this happens the performance of the pump suffers. The pump has to suck the oil from the pan through the filter. When you drop the pan and change the filter you are changing about 1/3 of the oil in your transmission. Now the question remains, do you need to change the other 2/3rds of the oil? The answer is yes if the fluid is dirty or brown looking and no if the fluid is clean and pink looking.

The term "FLUSH" is one of the biggest misnomers in automotive maintenance.

What's really happening during a "Flush" is you are replacing the old oil in the torque converter. The old oil in the torque converter must mix with the new oil as it's pumped out of the transmission. So you loose about 30% of the new oil when you exchange or "FLUSH".

A 4L60E holds between 12 and 14 quarts depending on the size of the torque converter and pan. A real dirty 4L60E may take up to 18 quarts of oil to get all the old oil out.

The TRICK in transmission care is to change the fluid every year or 15,000 miles, sooner or later is OK too as long as the old fluid is pink. If you keep the oil pink you will NEVER have to flush your transmission.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible