GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default On Star and Sirius

Well my new 2009 will run out of the free trial Onstar ans Sirius Radio options soon. I was wondering how many folks actually have stayed with either and what your comments on either or both are. I would appreciate any commentary.
    Kind regards
    Mister

I stuck with both. The XM is very nice and I will probably continue on for a while. I only have the music membership. I have found ample channles for different genres of music which meet my needs. The big plus is no commercials!
    I have paid for the basic OnStar program for another year, then I will decide if it is really worth it. It has a few features I hope I'll never need like crash reporting. I have an 08 so I can't utilize the theft protection feature, but with their GPS coordinates I will hunt down whomever has made the fatlal mistake of taking my truck myself.

Charlie
    XS ive1:(^^^)
    2008 Silverado Crew LTZ Southern Comfort conversion
    SoCo cat back duals
    Volant CAI
    6" Pro-Comp lift
    ARE cap with Yakima rack system (winter)
    GM Hard tri-fold tonneau (summer)
    GM rear wheel liners

XS ive2:(avatar)
    2014 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Z71 6.6 DMax/Allison
    6.5" BDS 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    LineX/wheel liners/OEM tube steps/sunroof/slider/mirrors/Nav/cablights/trifold tonneau

Getting the toys to the track with a 2007 Roadmaster 7X12 V-Nose 7k tandem "Mobile Man Cave".

My XM expired back in May on my 09, when i called i was planning on getting a 4 yr subscription but the lady i talked to said for i think 30 bucks more i could get a lifetime subscription so thats what i opted for. I got the mid level i think, it was 460 for, like i sad, life. As for Onstar, im in the same boat, i havent used it other than to bug the operator for weather conditions to show it off to my friends but it would be really good to have if you need it I guess kinda like an extra insurance policy is how i look at it.
    09 Silverado 5.3 LT Crewcab Z71, Rhino Line, Rough Country leveling kit
    87 samurai........:jap: haha

i had sirius in my last truck. this one has xm. i would not be without it. drove my sis in laws car for a few days that did not have it and realized then how much i missed it. i love sports and like being able to listen to any game. if you have more than one xm radio you can get a multi unit discount. my wifes tahoe has xm and we pay $20 a month for both. this is the xm plus best of siruis package. i also like being able to listen to cnn and catch up on what i misssed in the world while i was at work.

Living way down here in the South, it's comforting to know that if we have another hurricane or similar event where power is out for an extended time, OnStar and the sat-radio and telephone will be available. That's nice, if you've been in a situation where the only other alternative was smoke signals! And the music is good, too!
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

Sr. Engineer

I've had XM for a couple of years now. I just like being able to drive to and from work and listen to the radio without commercials. The local stations really got to me, nothing but talk radio on the way in, and at 5 minutes after 5 they all have 10 minutes of nonstop commercials plus on the RDS screen where they SHOULD be displaying the song and artist, they sell that space as advertising.. I didn't buy a truck with this fancy radio so someone can sell the display on it to the local McDonalds!! But thats just me.

I do think the sound quality of XM isn't that great though. It just seems kind of "tinny" sounding even compared to normal FM radio.

man you are bold, I would have been afraid to do the lifetime option, i would more likely do the month to month considering both XM and Sirius (now one company) are losing their ass, as in losing billions every year. At some point it just will not make sense to continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jow003 View Post
    My XM expired back in May on my 09, when i called i was planning on getting a 4 yr subscription but the lady i talked to said for i think 30 bucks more i could get a lifetime subscription so thats what i opted for. I got the mid level i think, it was 460 for, like i sad, life. As for Onstar, im in the same boat, i havent used it other than to bug the operator for weather conditions to show it off to my friends but it would be really good to have if you need it I guess kinda like an extra insurance policy is how i look at it.
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks

if you are listening to CNN you most likely didnt miss much while you were out!
    Quote Originally Posted by brown_one View Post
    i had sirius in my last truck. this one has xm. i would not be without it. drove my sis in laws car for a few days that did not have it and realized then how much i missed it. i love sports and like being able to listen to any game. if you have more than one xm radio you can get a multi unit discount. my wifes tahoe has xm and we pay $20 a month for both. this is the xm plus best of siruis package. i also like being able to listen to cnn and catch up on what i misssed in the world while i was at work.
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks

i work about 70hrs a wk so i miss a lot

Blog Entries

I have owned my truck for 3 years and have had Onstar (w/hands free calling) and XM will stay with them.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast