GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: tire opinion

I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's and although pricey I cannot say enough about them. They work flawlessly at the ranch, on the street, in the rain, and rated to have oustanding snow traction and are extremely quiet. Although we don't get a lot of snow here in Texas, I got caught in a snow/ice storm on I-20 christmas eve and if I hadn't had these tires I would not have been able to drive the extra 80 miles home, while others were in the bar ditch.

Here is a vid of them in action!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P1BuDnu5hk"]YouTube- 08 gmc[/ame]
    Last edited by Matt_TX; 02-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.

I have been considering the Silent Armours, My neighbor has them and drives them in serious snow here (Tahoe) and loves them. He is getting great wear out of them on his Toyota pickup. I am considering them but it is hard to switch from the BFG At's.
    Toyo Open Country AT's
    Goodyear Silent Armours
    BFG All Terrains are the three I am looking at for a new 4WD van..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_TX View Post
    I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's and although pricey I cannot say enough about them. They work flawlessly at the ranch, on the street, in the rain, and rated to have oustanding snow traction and are extremely quiet. Although we don't get a lot of snow here in Texas, I got caught in a snow/ice storm on I-20 christmas eve and if I hadn't had these tires I would not have been able to drive the extra 80 miles home, while others were in the bar ditch.

By and large more folks will recomend the BFGs they are a great tire at a very good price the only complaint I have ever heard is that they are not great on the street in the rain and do have a little bit of road noise. I think for a little bit more money the good years solve these problems. I know it sounds like I'm a sales man, but my Uncle works for bridgestone/firestone, so naturally I had to justify my purchase. LOL

I've never had any problems with the BFG in the rain. I have ridden in my neighbors toyota with the silent armours and they are what they claim, silent. Those kevlar belts do make them quiet. They are probably the quietest ALL terrain out there. Good looking tire too.
    They are tempting me.

Sr. Apprentice

If you do decide to go with some MT's, go with Firestone Destinations. Absolute best tires I have bought. Ive bought them for 2 different vehicles so far, 31" and 33"'s. Put them through all they're paces too, with out disappointment. (Snow, Sand, Mud, Street, Gravel, etc etc. Some road noise but not terrible, and sounds great going down the street!

04 Silverado RCSB 4x4
    4.3 MT
    33" Firestone Destination MT's
    Flowmaster 40

Cool tire opinion

I run BFG A/Ts as a all around tire but not in the mud. They do great on the street, sand and trails. If I'm going to go in the mud then I put on a set of BFG muds. Both tires are long lasting. Have had several sets of each and the A/Ts last 60,000 to 65,000 miles and the muds 50,000 to 55,000 miles. Thats keeping them rotated, balanced, proper air and the trucks aligned.

the terra grapplers are good and I have used the goodyear silent armors and liked them. I currently have the Kumho road venture and they have done great in the rain and everyting else. sorry havent tried them in the snow yet.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

i currently run goodyear silent armors and with the winters we have never had a problem, i am a little bias toward goodyear since i work for a shop who is a dealer but imo there is not a tire on the market who can touch the quality and durability of the silent armor we run them on all our shop trucks and all the techs with trucks/suvs run them, we have all gotten about 60-70k on the set with usable tred still there.
    not to dog on the BFGs to much but you also get a 50k warrenty with the silent armors
    Last edited by Z71_guy; 02-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Jr. Apprentice

I recently installed the Michellin AT2 on my 07 4x4 surburban and love them. Ride and quiet are great and they performed flawlessly on 8" snow. Love'um!!!
    Mike