GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Leaking Autotrac

What would make fluid leak from the two rear speed sensors on a 2000 silverado, 5.3 transfer case? If it is the vent, the hose disappears up in the rear engine bay. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dcriffle View Post
    What would make fluid leak from the two rear speed sensors on a 2000 silverado, 5.3 transfer case? If it is the vent, the hose disappears up in the rear engine bay. Thanks.
    The first thing to do is pull the fill plug and see if it's overfull. If it is you may have a bad seal between the transmission and transfer case. If it is overfull it will blow fluid out the vent. If not the speed sensors will leak because the o ring shrinks over time.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

I haven't seen sensor o-rings leak that much, but I have seen many snap rings inside the rear case half wear a hole in the rear case, it will be on the right side half way up.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice, guys. I checked the vent and it was clear and the fluid ended up being about 13 mm low. I cleaned the case and filled it with Autotrac II and we'll check it again later and post it. I read (somewhere) that heavy towing will blow some fluid, can't remember where though.

Quote Originally Posted by dcriffle View Post
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I checked the vent and it was clear and the fluid ended up being about 13 mm low. I cleaned the case and filled it with Autotrac II and we'll check it again later and post it. I read (somewhere) that heavy towing will blow some fluid, can't remember where though.
    Is that True??? Whenever I tow my travel trailer (~5k-5.5k) after a lond drive there is "fluid" on the tow chains and anything hanging low behind the truck. I have never been able to find out what the heck is going on. I dont have any leaks (none that I know of), and the "fluid" on the chains never smells like oil. Could what you were saying about the autotrak fluid blowing out during heavy towing be my mystery problem, and if it is, is it a problem?
    99 Silverado 1500 Z71
    5.3L 4L60E Tranny
    TransGo Shift Kit
    2.5" Rough Country
    Suspension Lift
    33" BF Good A/T
    Cherry Bomb Turbo
    Cobra CB w/
    Dual Fiberglass Antennas

01 Kawasaki KLR650

Anyone?????

Quote Originally Posted by sc99z71 View Post
    Anyone?????
    Your transfer case should never blow out oil under any circumstances. If it does you have a major problem!

Usually when oil is seen after heave towing it is coming from the transmission because the transmission is overheating. A hot torque converter is what makes the oil vent out and blow back. The reason the torque converter gets hot is because towing in overdrive with a heavy foot keeps the torque converter from locking up.

I always tow in 3 and never in D, even on the interstate (~60-65mph). This will be the first summer of towing the camper with the new shift kit, so we'll see how she does.