GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default GM extended range remote

I have an '07 Silverado with the factory remote starer. The range on these suck as most of you you already know. I have been looking into an aftermarket range extender with little luck. Found a couple plus just an extra antenna. After going to the local dealer and inquiring there, I was told that GM makes extended range FOB's for my truck. I got the chance to try one out at another dealer that had one installed on a trade in. IMO, this new "extending range FOB" works much better than the factory one. At $238 installed, it is comparable in price with the others that I found on the internet. Range extension is up to 1000' where as the factory one is around 300' at best. I will post my actual findings when I get it installed on my truck. Dealer said about 1-2 weeks? Hopefully sooner.

Thumbs up How convienent

Quote Originally Posted by eyegore View Post
    I have an '07 Silverado with the factory remote starer. The range on these suck as most of you you already know. I have been looking into an aftermarket range extender with little luck. Found a couple plus just an extra antenna. After going to the local dealer and inquiring there, I was told that GM makes extended range FOB's for my truck. I got the chance to try one out at another dealer that had one installed on a trade in. IMO, this new "extending range FOB" works much better than the factory one. At $238 installed, it is comparable in price with the others that I found on the internet. Range extension is up to 1000' where as the factory one is around 300' at best. I will post my actual findings when I get it installed on my truck. Dealer said about 1-2 weeks? Hopefully sooner.
    I was literally just going to post a question if anyone has heard anything more. Last thing I heard about the 2-way remote was that it was in the works but never shipped to the dealer. I have done quite a bit of research and I know that my truck is compatible. Post some pics when you get a chance! I'm calling my dealer!

Oh yeah- do you have the part number?
    Marc

2008 Chevrolet Silverado
    Black on Black leather, XM,
    20" GA 4.6
    Bak Flip G2
    5.3L FLEX
    Custom machined bow-tie
    (my ME ; )
    Billet grille inserts
    Paint Matched
    door handles & mirror covers
    Partially de-badged

So just got off the phone with the two local dealership and one quoted the upgraded remote package with one two-way remote @ 245$ plus another 200$ for programing and installation.

Dealership #2 said 250$ for the one remote package plus another $90-$145 for install.

I asked if this was something I could install myself and I recieved an immediate 'no'. Of course. Any thoughts?

WOW! the dealer in my town and I didn't even buy the truck there, quoted me $238 installed. The dealership where I purchased my truck said he was unaware of such a thing. This was the first inquiry at this dealer in my town about an extended range starter upgrade. They actually took my VIN # to make sure that I was getting one that will work for my truck. The dealership where I tested one said that there is a module that plugs into something under the dash. Needs power and ground too. Then something in the computer needs to be reprogrammed for the new FOB. Similar application from what I have read on the aftermarket ones I have found. I have also found through a Google search, other modules that sell for under $50 but I have always been weary of inexpensive gadgets. Have not looked into return policies for these but with electrical you may not be able to return them, especially if you have installed them. The 2 links below are what I have found. I cannot find where to purchase the Astroflex one. I figured that I'd have more ground to stand on if the factory GM one did not live up to it's claims but that too could be wishful thinking

www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0607_astroflex_ri_gm_1/index.ht
    www.autoalarmpro.com/inc/sdetail/23032
    Last edited by eyegore; 12-11-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Apparently the links don't work this way but maybe you can type them in and get to them. Sorry!

I've heard mixed results for the GM 2-Way Extended range remotes. Some work great, others, not so much. So I'm not sure if that has to do with installation, interference, or just user preference. The main issue for me was how large the FOB is compared so the standard remote. It's huge.

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

Blog Entries

All i want to be able to do is find a way to get rid of the 10 minute+10 minute (extension limit becauser that is just not long enough for the winters up here...
    CHEVY TIL I DIE.
    2009 Silverado Z71 LT/5.3/Flowmaster 40 Series/Volant/Diablosport
    2006 Trailblazer 4X4 LS

Past Rides:
    2001 GMC SIERRA 4x4 - Totaled
    99 Chevy Silverado 2x4 traded in

Yes, I'll have to agree that the remotes are bigger than the original factory ones but if they work better and extend the starting range, then it's something I can live with. I believe that you can still use the original remote so using that one during the summer months could be an option. Also, you still only have the 10 min. run x2 unless you key it for the 20 min. run time.

Legend

Compustar (what I have) is "rated" at 6000ft I have got more then that and will piggy back the factory system without losing the functions of the factory system. and is pretty close to some of the fugures you gys have thron out for the factory product, install and reprogramming.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Default 2 way advanced remote

i recently had the 2 way remote installed on my 2009 silverado z71, and havent had any problems at all, i would recommend it even though it is rather big for a fob and aprox. over 300.00. The functions on the fob are pretty cool giving that the fob lets you change radio stations while you are away from your truck, your odometer, fuel level and tire pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by