GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default body swap or change everything over?

I'm new to the whole forum thing but im just looking for some help anything will do. I have an 88 4x4 suburban with a 350 motor, 8 inch lift, everything is good mechanically for the most part except the steering, it sucks! the bad is the body and the interior its nasty. but i have a 89 2x4 suburban with a pretty good body and the interior is in great shape the engine needs to be redone and the tranny is trashed (will drive in 1st but if it shifts into 2nd it locks up) . my plan was to do a body swap but ive never done one and dont know what all is involved. then i was also thinking take the 89 motor, tranny, and front axle out and swapping the 88 4x4 motor, tranny, T-case, axle, and lift kit over to the good body. Then i was going to rebuild the bad motor and tranny for a later engine swap or just make the other one a project low rider or show stile truck. Any input will help or someone thats up in Anchorage to that wants to help, thats good too. Thanks to all!

Welcome to the site! Sounds like a good project to me. It does sound like there is a lot of work involved though.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Since your going 2wd to 4wd the best method would be to swap the bodys, the biggest change will be punching a hole in the floor for the T-case shifters and checking clearance for the T-case, a small bodylift might help for T-case clearance.
    Suburban bodies are heavy, you'll want to strip it down as far as possible to do the lifting unless you have access to a crane or forklift. I used a home made A frame to swap mine but found the forklift to be much easier when we did my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Since your going 2wd to 4wd the best method would be to swap the bodys, the biggest change will be punching a hole in the floor for the T-case shifters and checking clearance for the T-case, a small bodylift might help for T-case clearance.
    Suburban bodies are heavy, you'll want to strip it down as far as possible to do the lifting unless you have access to a crane or forklift. I used a home made A frame to swap mine but found the forklift to be much easier when we did my friends.

I dunno...fork lift, A frame lifts....seems like an equipment issue. I would say swap the parts, unless you have a fork lift you can use...
    The General Can Do No Wrong!!!!