GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sandy Roads

Yeah you don't need new tires. And you certainly don't want mud tires as some have suggested. I was wondering about, HOW MUCH sand are you really driving in and how often? If it is just patchy areas, your basic AT tire is your best bet. And you already have the best tire available the BFG TA/KO which is about the best AT tire out there for sand.

Like I suggested, I wouldn't even bother airing down. You adjust your tire pressure to meet the off road conditions. Driving down a dirt road you don't need to air down. You HAVE to air down for east coast beaches but not for patchy sand. For basic dirt roads highway tire pressure is fine. You get stuck in sand then air down.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by coryv71 View Post
    Thanks for the info fellas. I haven't got stuck yet but came close once deer hunting this season. I like my BFG ATs and i thought it wouldn't make much sense to buy different tires for just part of the land when the rest of roads are mostly dirt. I'll try airing down the next time i go to that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    Yeah you don't need new tires. And you certainly don't want mud tires as some have suggested. I was wondering about, HOW MUCH sand are you really driving in and how often? If it is just patchy areas, your basic AT tire is your best bet. And you already have the best tire available the BFG TA/KO which is about the best AT tire out there for sand.

Like I suggested, I wouldn't even bother airing down. You adjust your tire pressure to meet the off road conditions. Driving down a dirt road you don't need to air down. You HAVE to air down for east coast beaches but not for patchy sand. For basic dirt roads highway tire pressure is fine. You get stuck in sand then air down.
    Good Luck.
    Thanks for the tips fly. I too am a big fan of the BFGs.
    Just a yank in the heart of DIXIE

Good Luck with the hunting down there in bama.
    I started hunting about 10 years ago. A lot of duckhunting. I got an antelope with the bow out in WY and a cow ELK out in CO with the 30-06. I have been trying for a turkey but no luck yet.
    I have a new flyfishing/hunting rig on order from GM.
    I can't wait for it to get here.

I haven't gotten a turkey yet this will be my 3rd year trying. get closer every year nothing like hearing them gobble in the morning. makes my heart beat faster every time.
    Just a yank in the heart of DIXIE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12