GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Silverados/Sierras

I have been going back and forth over this issue for a while. I am looking into getting rid of my '02 Silverado and getting an '07.
    I am looking for owners of new Silverados/Sierras. How is the gas mileage and towing? What options do you recommend?
    I am thinking of an Extended or Crew Cab, and at least a 2500.
    Chris

'08 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (Oct '07-Pres)

Former GM Trucks:

'07 GMC Yukon XL (Leased: Jun '06 - Oct '07)
    '02 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab LT 4WD Dually (Nov '01-Oct '07)

'05 GMC Envoy XUV (Leased: Aug '04 - Jun '06)
    '95 GMC Sierra K2500

Welcome to the site.

I recommend getting the bed-mounted gattling gun option. Makes those pesky tailgaters disappear.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I have an 07 silverado classic reg cab. I don't know if you're looking for the new body style silvy. But on mine i get about 16mpg city and 20mpg highway. That's with the 4.8l. I haven't done anytowing yet though.
    2007 Silverado Classic Regular Cab

coming later:

-Viper alarm w/ remote start
    -Roll Pan
    -24" Wheels
    -Shaved Doors
    -Hard Tonneu Cover
    -Shaved Tailgate
    -Air Suspension
    -PossilbeSupercharger

I have a 07 Silverado Crew Cab (new body style)...my trip computer onboard says my average is 18 mpg..with the 5.3L (Fuel Management System)...only had it 3 weeks so far, little over 500 miles on it..no towing yet either..
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab(new body style) 5.3L

Nice, I dont like to buy the first year after a truck or car has been redone due to all the defects they have their first year. I will probably wait two years and get a 2009 Silverado.

I don't think there will be as many problems with the new redesigned trucks as you would see with a 100% new truck like the new Tundras or like Toyota had with the all new Tacoma back in 05. All new trucks from the ground up are the ones to really watch out for. By that I mean everything is new from the body to the drivetrain. Trucks that are basically new sheet metal and creature comfort advancements, but coupled with proven drivetrains, just don't have the same vast number of problems as a completly new model does.

The drivetrain is still pretty much the same as it has been. Same old 4spd auto tranny( 4L60E), same old G80's, same Autotrac t-case, and the same basic V6 and V8 offerings. There has been some tweaking to the internals on a couple engines which classify them as Gen IV's now but they are still the same 4.3's, 4.8's, 5.3's and 6.0's. Even some of the wheels/rims are still being used on the new 07 as you could get on an 03.

The new stuff is more in PCM programming, suspension, sheetmetal, and the like. Areas that yes could have problems but they will be minor. It is a pretty well proven drivetrain that will be the heart of the new trucks. If it was an all new engine line with an all new tranny I would be a lot more concerned. Even active fuel management(AFM) has been around for a while and has shown to work well. Has been out in the SUV's for a good year now and similar technology has been in the cars( they called it DOD = displacement on demand - but overall same thing ).

I think overall the new GMT900 series full size trucks will be just fine. Certainly they will have fewer issues than a totally new truck from the ground up. GM is using a proven drivetrain. I think you will see similar issues and successes as Dodge had in 2002 with the new redesigned Rams. They used the same basic drivetrain as the previous generation Ram with a new body and suspension. They had some issues but it was not engine or other drivetrain area related. THAT, IMO, is where it can kill a car mfg if the drivetrain goes bad.
    Last edited by NHSilverado; 01-22-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Blog Entries

I did a lot of homework before purchasing my 2006 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab SB 4X4 w/Duramax and 6-speed Allison tranny. Of course you picked Chevrolet or you would not be here. The Duramax in my truck is the LBZ motor and came with a whole bunch of improvements from the earlier Duramax's http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax...ewsrelease.htm

Now, the newer 07's boast improvements as well. Do your homework and you will be happy!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I have an 07 new body style crew cab 2 wheel drive, i had an 03 GMC sierra Z71 and i loved it, but i really love my new one. I got around 400 miles to my first couple of tanks. so overall i love the truck
    GOOBER:eek:

I have a Black 2007 (New Body Style) Crew Cab Silverado and I love it.. Just put 600 miles on it, they rack up quick.. My computer says I'm avg. about 15 MPG (mostly city & 5.3 Engine), and I haven't done any towing with it yet.. My only "problem" with it is sometimes when I pull away from a stop, it sounds like there is something loose under the bed or rear axle, might have to pay my dealer a visit.. Any ideas on want this could be?? Is it common with 2007 models...
    BTW, This is my 1st post, probably won't be the last... OKieneck