GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HID's are messing up

my HID's will sometimes flicker on and off. they almost look like strobe lights when they do it. does anyone know what is wrong or why they are doing this.

do they just flicker once?? or do they constntly do it when it starts?? mine kind of flicker and dim for a quick second and brighten back up again every time i turn them on... i havent timed to see exactly how long it is after i start it up but it happens every time...
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    2" rough country leveling kit
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    deep low profile took box
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    1000 watt hifonics sub amp
    4 6.5" hifonics door speakers
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn
    5 gallon air tank with 100% duty Viar compressor
    galls street thunder deluxe siren/PA

they keep doing it. they have only done it like three times, but when they start blinking they don't stop for like ten minutes unless i turn them off of auto.

Two things:
    first, get a relay. Your factory harnesses cannot handle the load of the hid's when they are warming up. The lack of a relay will usually cause flickering.
    Second, if you have a nnbs disable your DRLs. On the nnbs trucks the drls use the headlights but at about half power. This will starve your hid ballasts and cause them to eventually stop working.
    Michael, 17, CA

2005 Silverado - See my garage for my mod list
    :great:

what everyone else here said is correct. also, depending on your particular HID's, sometimes the automatic lights can really cause problems. on mine, i have had the HID's in for just over a year, and the auto lights turn them on with the key on, right before starting. When they lose power during starting, it is not very good for them. It seems that some HID's handle this better than others - on mine, sometimes only one or neither will come back on after starting unless I allow them to warm up before starting (which doesnt work with my remote start). Also, because of this happening so often, my HID's will sometimes alternate flashing from one side to the other if I turn the key to on without starting the truck. I am planning to wire in a switch to override them when I have time, as the 99-02 NBS trucks didnt have a way to turn them off in the dark (in canada, anyways....).

So your problem could be a result of any or all of the things mentioned by myself or others.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

dsrtne1, you said get a relay.. how do you wire that up to prevent this from happening?
    05 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71, Silver
    Rough Country Full Leveling Kit
    Alpine Head Unit w/ xm
    15% tint all around
    Westin Step Bars
    Kobalt Tool Box

http://www.turnagainhighlights.com/id30.html
    For the most part its a Plug and Play kind of deal. However, you will need to mount the relays, find a sufficient ground, and run a wire or two to the battery.

DO they do it when the lights on auto

Relays are not hard, wire it to the battery(red to red, black to black, very simple). Then you plug your ballasts into the relay and plug one of your factory harnesses into the relay so it knows when to draw power.
    As for the auto headlights, most disable them. But I don't want to mess with the wiring so I just push the turn signal lever forward so only the highs are on. That way it will only flash your highs when you start the truck.
    Michael, 17, CA

2005 Silverado - See my garage for my mod list
    :great:

i had a lot of trouble trying to run my relay. also it is only when they are on auto. thanks for all ya'lls help. i am going to try and run my relay again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast