GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Unhappy HELP! rear diff fill plug welded shut!

i just took my 97 suburban c-1500 to jiffy lube "just bought it about 2 weeks ago" since i just got it and its my front rear wheel drive vehicle. plus its a little cold to change the oil myself. now im no stranger to working on cars, just not rear wheel drive ones. i know what i know and when to ask for help. that brings me here. i took my truck to jiffy lube for a oil change and check out the rear diff fluid. while i was waiting, they told me that the drain plug was welded on and they cant get it off. now ive heard of drilling a new hole and plugging it. is that possible? and am i just screwed. now i have retapped my oil pan on my taurus but i know nothing about suburbans. thanks!

If I remember correctly, your rear diff doesn't have a drain plug, just a fill/check plug, this is very common on 1500'. The 2500 and 3500's have drain plugs. You could try drilling out a small hole in the center of the plug and using a drill bit still back out to remove. If that doesn't work, I guess drill the entire hole, just smaller than the original size, and re-tap the hole. Either way, you will have to pull off the rear diff cover to drain the oil fluid that would now have metal shaving in it from the drilling.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Can't yopu just remove the cover and replace the gasket?
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

I have seen this many times in the past several years working with other shops. Believe me when I tell you this. The little boys and girls working at Jiffy Lube are great kids but they are by no means automotive technicians.

Take your truck to any real repair shop and they will remove your fill plug.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    The little boys and girls working at Jiffy Lube are great kids but they are by no means automotive technicians.
    No fair, I worked at Jiffy Lube for almost 2 years!

I'm just messing with you Jimmie. But Jimmie is right. Typically, the guys at JL really don't know how to do anything past pulling a plug and changing a filter. 5 guys in my shop worked for over a hour and couldn't figure out how to get a filter's face place off of an old truck's mounting plate. It took ME less than a minute to get it off.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Jr. Apprentice

cool thanks, i will find a shop that wont take me to the cleaners, or if im feeling froggy, crawl underneath and take apart my self. leaning more toward the first... thanks!