GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Synthetic Oil VS Conventional Oil

Ive got a 98 chevy silverado with just over 100,000 miles on it and i just put AMSOil synthetic in it. I really like it so far and its been almost 10,000 miles. What are other peoples thoughts on synthetic oil?? Pros and Cons?

i have heard good things about it. Just can never go back to conventional after you switch. i dont bother spendng the money
    Last edited by 95Chevyk1500; 02-08-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: cuz
    1997 Chevy c1500
    Regular cab Shortbox
    4.3 Automatic (wish it was a 5 speed, but i'll get over it)
    157k miles

Quote Originally Posted by 95Chevyk1500 View Post
    i have heard good things about it. Just can never go back to conventional after you switch. i dont bother spendng the money
    That is false. all oils are compatible with each other. Most things people here like that are myths. If you want your vehicles to last and perform the best synthetics are the right choice.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    That is false. all oils are compatible with each other. Most things people here like that are myths. If you want your vehicles to last and perform the best synthetics are the right choice.

my truck had 265k and used conventional. WALMART SUPER TECH FOR ME HAHAHA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 95Chevyk1500 View Post
    my truck had 265k and used conventional. WALMART SUPER TECH FOR ME HAHAHA!!!!
    I would really like to see what the inside of that engine looked like.

I've ran AMSOIL for 10+ years, no complaints... I change oil @ 15-20k....
    John

06 Red GMC 4X4 CrewCab 4.8L
    MagnaFlow Muffler
    Lubed by AMSOIL...

Sr. Apprentice

Synthetics last longer than conventional... with conventional motor oil, you should oil and filter change at about 3k-5k depending on driving habbits but with synthetic, the oil will last into around 10k-12k because it will not break down as quickly. Although you should still change your filter at normall intervals. When you use the oil the way it should be used, synthetic ends up being cheaper... You change your oil because the molecules break down, not because it is dirty... If your filter is doing it's job...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 1998SilveradoGuy92 View Post
    Ive got a 98 chevy silverado with just over 100,000 miles on it and i just put AMSOil synthetic in it. I really like it so far and its been almost 10,000 miles. What are other peoples thoughts on synthetic oil?? Pros and Cons?
    i used ams oil in all my diff and trans cases the, con to ams oil are price and can u go 12 to 15k on 1 oil change?? , i change mine way to much to make it cost worthy for me now some higher milage cars wil use a little oil ,ams oil or standard if you notice that jjust switch back.

I use Royal Purple in my truck and Amsoil in my VW GTI. Both are great.

Quote Originally Posted by scrappiedew1 View Post
    i used ams oil in all my diff and trans cases the, con to ams oil are price and can u go 12 to 15k on 1 oil change?? , i change mine way to much to make it cost worthy for me now some higher milage cars wil use a little oil ,ams oil or standard if you notice that jjust switch back.
    Ive had no problems with mine amsoil whatsoever and i havent changed mine for over 10k now... Ive heard from some that amsoil needs to be changed like conventional but ive also heard that it can go up to 30k... Im sure that both may not be exactly true but somewhere in the middle should be perfect.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by