GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

been fully synthetic for some time now, but assuming my father isnt full of crap, hes always said synthetic is the best but if you have an oil leak synthetic leaks easier than conventional seeing it is a tad thinner...
    hopefully im not getting shot down with that statement or ill have to have a talk with pops.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

I came across sone independent information that suggests that the new conventional oils are performing much better and have closed the lifespan gap with synthetics. Anyone else read our hear about this?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend
    Blog Entries

I think there is some truth in that Steve because you are seeing longer oil change intervals recommended my the manufacturers. That being said, I do not always listen to the manufacturers and stick with the 3K mile oil change. I run Synthetic in my wife's Benz and change I.A.W. Mercedes recommendations - 12K miles. The Suburbeast, Hyundai, and Porsche are Dino every 3K. The 911 with its 11 Quart sump would be an expensive change even at 12K!

I have over 251K on the Burb and Seafoam will take care of any build up. I think there is more hype that technical difference separating the different manufacturers of synthetics.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Can you use additives with synthetics? The two that come to mind are Seafoam and Engine Restorer. A guy recommended Engine Restorer to me, and the engine felt like it had more power afterwards - felt a bit peppier. So I think it must be sealing something.

I've been following this discussion witha a great deal of interest and it has started me thinking about switching to synthetic. It also has me wondering about the oil change frequency with my vehicle. My driving is about 90-95% on rural county roads and the rest is highway driving. My oil change/service interval is 5,000 miles. With the amount of driving I do this means a service once a year. From what I've picked up, it appears the service interval for synthetic oil is about 10,000 miles more or less. For me this would mean a complete oil change every 2 years with a filter change every so many miles. To me this seems like an excessive amount of time between oil changes. I'd like members opinions on this.

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I've been following this discussion witha a great deal of interest and it has started me thinking about switching to synthetic. It also has me wondering about the oil change frequency with my vehicle. My driving is about 90-95% on rural county roads and the rest is highway driving. My oil change/service interval is 5,000 miles. With the amount of driving I do this means a service once a year. From what I've picked up, it appears the service interval for synthetic oil is about 10,000 miles more or less. For me this would mean a complete oil change every 2 years with a filter change every so many miles. To me this seems like an excessive amount of time between oil changes. I'd like members opinions on this.
    I would suggest doing an oil change at least once a year regardless of whether you choose to use synthetic or conventional oil. I don't know if it is an issue with synthetic but conventional oil apparently breaks down over time. Either way I really wouldn't be comfortable having oil any older than a year in my truck. Personally, I've never had a problem with conventional oil, but I've decided to go with any possible benefits that might come with synthetics in my vehicles - with the exception of my ford.... its a beast of a truck that leaks oil, so it gets cheap oil and if anything happens to that truck i'll just go get a junkyard engine for it.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Legend
    Blog Entries

The two vehicles that I have that came from the manufacturer with synthetic oil both call for 12,000 mile oil changes. They are 21 years apart in age, both are German made. The 86 Porsche holds about 11 quarts, the 2007 Mercedes, my wires car, has a standard oil volume. The Germans are technical freaks - if they say synthetic is good for 12K, you can take it to the bank.

There was a study I found on line by an independent garage that used oil analysis to compare two leading brands of synthetic oil. From what I recall it boiled down to 12,000 was about the right mark for an oil change. One of the synthetics was produced by a major oil company, the other by a specialty producer. While the specialty producers oil lasted longer than the 12,000, it also changed viscosity grades along the way with the shift coming around the 12K mark. The viscosity changes was evident from early on in the test.

Point being, the only real way to prove it to yourself is to pay for oil analysis. A reliable lab is not cheap unless you can get a discount based on the number of samples you run - like a manufacturing plant. Even then you are looking at $12 for the analysis. In the end, I think you will end up with oil changes at 5~7K for dino and 12K for synthetic. I shoot for 3K on the oil change knowing that i will run over sometimes by as much as 1000 miles. Regardless, you can buy a lot of oil for the cost of one engine!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123