GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Steering Front End

1992 Chevy 5.7 350 1500 Crew Cab 4X4:

I just replaced left and right outer and inner tie rods, center link, idler arm, and adjusting tubes. I did nothing with the pitman are. My problem is that now I have about a half turn more when turning right, as opposed to a half turn less when turning left. I have not yet taken it to have it aligned (I just did the work yesterday and have not driven it but 20 miles). I knew I had a little less turn to the left before I put the tires and rims back on; but, I had to get it out of the place where I was working on it. Center link is not on backwards (I learned that the hard way when I checked the steering the first time).

Also, when I did drive it I sometimes hear (from the front end) some “clack” or loud “tink” sounds - usually when I am almost at a stop (for example a stop light) or just taking off from a dead stop. This just started after I did the work I described above. Everything is torqued per Haynes manual.
    For the turning issue, might it be that I have to adjust the tie rods by way of the adjusting tube? If so, do I adjust the (tie rods) outer, inner, or both? Would I adjust both sides, or just the left or the right?

One more thing. I have owned the truck around two months now. Since I have had it it has made a “clink” noise when I take off from a dead stop - and sometimes when I am stopping (for ex at a stop light). Universals or yolks? There is no problem with the tranny - it is as smooth as a kitten (so far).

As always, thank you for taking time to read this.

Steve

Cool steering front end

I would start with a front end alignment. I would go ahead and replace the pittman arm and idler arm, than get the front end aligned.

Jr. Apprentice

I replaced the idler arm. But I was thinking the same thing and agree with you: I am going to get it aligned.

I am still wondering about the "clunk" and "tink" the front end is making.Because of the new parts?

Jr. Apprentice

Default Alignment

Went to Sears today for alignment and they told me I needed Camber Bolts. Any ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Went to Sears today for alignment and they told me I needed Camber Bolts. Any ideas???
    is the truck lifted

Jr. Apprentice

No lift....