GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Headers

Default Headers

I was wondering how much headers would increase the performance of my truck. Has anyone bought any after market headers and put them on their truck? If you have, would you let me know how the results turned out.

From what I've heard, headers do add a little performance by themselves, but you will only see any significant gains when they are coupled with other performance mods like an intake, cat-back, and tuner. Hope that helps

Thanks for your help, I already have a cat back exhaust, and I plan on making my own cold air intake, but I'm not sure about the tuner.

I am planning on going with a Diablo tuner, i have heard that it will remove the torque management, fix the air flow and recalibrate the computer for better performance/mileage. I have heard of huge gains with a programmer, especially on diesel trucks.

Different sites and manufacturers claim HP gains of 20HP+ by just adding on a set of headers. I already had a cold air intake on my truck and I installed a set of BBK Performance Headers and a MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust a few weeks back and I can feel a lot more power, better throttle response and increased acceleration. I think you will be pleased if you install headers. I'm in the same boat for buying a programmer, seems that MANY members are leaning towards the Diablo.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

if you have tbi check the racing guys .com web site i ordered a in take for my sons 91 chev 5.7 came with the filter for about 50 to 60$$ it is nice problem with headers is you are always on the gas to here them roar

Sr. Apprentice

Do you plan on longtube headers or shorties? Whatever route you plan on taking, throw on some high-flow cats in place of those crap stock cats. Headers, high-flow cats, and performance mufflers... you'll get a real nice sound and up your MPG's a little. If you're going to do the exhaust, do the whole thing. It can only perform as good as the weakest link...