GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: more power?

Default more power?

first off id like to introduce myself.

im peter, just joined. i have a '08 chevy 2500 6.0L.

now for the question...

i currently have the superchip cortex programmer installed, tuned for performance. deffiantly can tell the differance in power but im looking for a bit more. im getting ready for an intake and exhaust. but is there anything really beyond thet besides getting into the motor? everyhting i look up is has to do with diesel and its quite annoying considering i couldnt afford one.

if you guys have any suggestions, itd be great!

and nice to meet you all!

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Well it sounds like you have the big three accounted for (Intake, exhaust, tune)... The next this to squeeze out a little more power is to switch all your fluids to synthetic...

After that, it's all more in-depth and expensive... Things such as turbo's and super chargers...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Sr. Engineer

cam, LTs and a blower
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

If you have the money, I would run a carbon fiber venting or intake hood, and then fiberglass fenders too. Anything you can do to take off weight will add performance, and unlike a blower, you will take stress off of the components. heck, you can even run bigger tires if you get flared fenders. either way, let us know

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Sr. Engineer

Weight reduction really is only going to shave off time at the track and cause some more rattles. If you are looking at streetable performance, I wouldn't go that route.

You could go the cheep rout and put a dyno tune nitrous system on there nock a second off that time.
    08 silverado
    K&N cai
    single in dual out cherry bomb pro
    leveling kit
    custom painted bow ties
    Bed liner
    Tinted windows
    20inch Cruser Alloy Switchblades
    Goodyear Eagle GT2 285/50/20
    1 truly heavy foot + Wait4meperformance SCT Handheld
    100 shot of Nitrous Dyno tune system
    SS front bumper
    Matching painted front grill and bow ties

well those are some damn good ideas.

triton-ive gotten the intake. i went k&n. as for exhuast, im not sure about the previous body style, but on the lmm body styles, the exhaust is dual after the cats and last bank O2 sensers(thank god) and then y to single right before the flange for the rest of the exhaust back. i may cut about 3 or 4 inches before the y and do true duals back. but idk if i should straight pipe or get like flowmaster 70 series or something of the sort.

and i use mobil 1 syn motor oil( i get it for free at work ) i hear theres syn tranny and diff fluid and royal purple makes some crazy coolant thing, i havent done research on it yet though. but it makes a signficant differance?

stealth- ive actually looked at a cowel hood, reduced weight blah blah, not carbon fiber though. and for a fair price (250-350 or so) then i lost the sight. fml. if you have a good source, please share! i REALLY hate the look of the new lmm hoods and those stupid plastic louvers. plus idk if you noticed but during rain, the middle of the hood holds water and thats mad annoying to.

as for all the motor work, thats down the line abit. i do have one question. i know the cortex is really sensetive, but is it possible that i could chip the pcm and run the performance tune on the programmer?
    '08 chevy 2500-6.0L
    -K&N intake
    -superchips cortex programmer(sold)
    -BFG mud terrains km2 LT265/75R16LRE
    '04 pontiac GTO
    totalled:(
    '88 mazda RX7-LS1
    -'04 GTO LS1 swap
    -'04 GTO T56 trans
    -hypertech programmer
    -comp cams 114r cam
    -'04 GTO fuel tank/pump
    -exedy stage 2 copper/ceramic clutch
    -dynatech longtube headers
    -custom 3in. header back exhuast
    -tien illumina struts, racing beat springs
    -10 deg steering angle kit
    -BFG g-force kdw 285/55R16 rears, 265/55R16 fronts

Quote Originally Posted by EfSeeThreeEs View Post
    well those are some damn good ideas.

triton-ive gotten the intake. i went k&n. as for exhuast, im not sure about the previous body style, but on the lmm body styles, the exhaust is dual after the cats and last bank O2 sensers(thank god) and then y to single right before the flange for the rest of the exhaust back. i may cut about 3 or 4 inches before the y and do true duals back. but idk if i should straight pipe or get like flowmaster 70 series or something of the sort.

and i use mobil 1 syn motor oil( i get it for free at work ) i hear theres syn tranny and diff fluid and royal purple makes some crazy coolant thing, i havent done research on it yet though. but it makes a signficant differance?

stealth- ive actually looked at a cowel hood, reduced weight blah blah, not carbon fiber though. and for a fair price (250-350 or so) then i lost the sight. fml. if you have a good source, please share! i REALLY hate the look of the new lmm hoods and those stupid plastic louvers. plus idk if you noticed but during rain, the middle of the hood holds water and thats mad annoying to.

as for all the motor work, thats down the line abit. i do have one question. i know the cortex is really sensetive, but is it possible that i could chip the pcm and run the performance tune on the programmer?
    That would be a nono on the chip. I dont really want to give you my opinion on the cortex or superchips but take no offence to this but you wasted your money on that tuner. Superchips does nothing for the nbs silverados. Superchips even admittedly told me this when i decided to return mine to them. You wasted you money. You need to send it back and get your money back while you still can. Get a wait4meperformance custom sct hand held tune or a diablo custom tune and you will see what a real tune will do. I promisse you this if you were to go to the track your quarter time would be slower with the performance tune on than it is in stock form. Trust me I found out the hard way and didnt have ne body giving me advice on it. Plus those two custom tunes are equal to the price of the over priced cortex. I wouldnt take a superchips tuner if it was given to me.

what sites would i find them? and superchips wont give me problems on returning?

Quote Originally Posted by EfSeeThreeEs View Post
    what sites would i find them? and superchips wont give me problems on returning?
    No you got a 30 day return on it. You can go to wait4meperformance.com but what I would do is call jesse get his number off the website. Tell him you want the all out performance tune, tow haul azz and fuel economy. Let him no what mods you have and he will custom make you a tune to give you what you want. He can go as xtream as you want. It knocked a full second off my quarter mile time and it definatly made me feel the difference from stock. It is 410 shipped if I am not mistaken and you get 3 custom tunes.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by