GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission shot?

I've got a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 w/ about 70,000 miles. Yesterday I drove from Dallas TX to Austin TX and upon reaching Austin, noticed the truck starting to shift slightly erratically (hopping between 3rd and 4th on hills where it shouldnt be). Several hours later I drove the truck around town and had no trouble.

Today, I headed back to Dallas and made it as far as Waco. Right as I reached Waco, I lost overdrive, then within a couple of minutes the truck wouldnt stay in third on the highway. I exited and let the truck sit for several minutes. It was a bit low on transmission fluid (not critically so, but low enough that I added a quart). I let the truck sit for about an hour then tried it back up. I can get into second gear but as soon as I rev it far enough to jump into third, it crashes back into first.

I left it in Waco and will have it towed to the closest stealership tomorrow when I drive another car back down to it (hopefully it'll be fine where I left it).

I cannot believe that the transmission would be toast at 70,000 miles, but with how it was acting I have trouble believing its anything else.

Anyone have an ideas on how bad this is going to be? $$$

Oh - not sure it matters, but the truck has the automatic four wheel drive (Stabilitrack/autotrack, whatever it is...) Switches between 2 and 4HI as needed, I can lock it into 4LO when necessary.

What gears did you have/not have? Did you have 1st, & 3rd maybe instead of 1 & 2nd? Did you have reverse?
    Ken Beida
    2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4, 5.3L
    2009 GMC Sierra Denali, 6.2L = 403hp, AWD, Full load

I had 1st and reverse for sure. I thought I partially had 2nd, but it could have been third.

stealership called, its shot. Gonna be $3200 to replace it, but the replacement comes with a 3yr/100K warranty.

Jr. Apprentice

nice i have a similar probley but it was weird how it happens visit my thread (Tranny Touble)

Tons of transmission probs on here today
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"