GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Question LED Load Resistors

I am doing a full LED conversion on the front of my S-10 this summer, turning signals, marker lights, DRL, and some strobes. I need a total of 8 load resistors to make everything work, they make two kinds ceramic and aluminum. The only thing I have found about them is they get very hot, and not to mount them anywhere near plastic. Would I need to use the ceramic or aluminum one's for my truck, there is only about a $5.00 price difference a piece. The guy at Summit Racing and Auto Zone didn't know what the difference is, does anyone on here know or have an educated guess?

Has anyone ever installed any load resistors in a vehicle before, or done the LED conversion because you don't see very many of them done on newer vehicles I am guessing because of the cost.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Either one would work, but they do get CRAZY HOT!!! I've even seen some cases where it's burned paint off of a panel from behind...

But, if you don't want to use the load balancers, you can get a flasher that is compatable with LEDs... The normal flashers in vehicles use the load that is on them to "switch" back and forth... With the LED compatable ones, it blinks at a steady rate regardless of the load...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Sr. Apprentice

my advise is just buy and l.e.d. electronic flasher instead and it will solve youre problem trust me, I did it to my tahoe...

But, she also is converting her running lights, drls, etc to LED. However, because those items don't blink,but burn at a steady rate, they shouldn't need load resistors. And all the voltage conversion and subsequent heatsinking should be done in the bulb.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

I never even thought about the flasher, I guess I need to research this more! Would it hurt if I put an led flasher and load resistors in, just to be on the safe side? I know its going to be tuff to find a good place to mount the resistors, my main concern is burning through wiring harnesses. Thanks again guys.

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

With the electroninc flashers, the load balancer is not needed... The flash rate is actually programmed into the electric flasher making it blink at a steady rate regardless of the load put on it...