GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 1996 push button GMC 4x4 issue

I am considering the purchase of a 1996 GMC Sierra SLE ext cab short bed 4x4 that is in aimmaculate condition. The bes is non-scratched! It has 63,000 documented original miles and has the push button transfer case control. She runs fantastic except for one thing: when I tried out the 4WD the lights just blinked. That is, when I went rom 2HI to 4HI, the buton light would not get out of blinking mode. Same for 2HI to 4LO. I could hear the transfer case engage and when going to 4LO the gear range certianly was in LO as I drove for about 100 feet and could tell. Oh yeah, the seller is asking $6500 which is right at KBB for private sale in excellent condition. Afraid I might get into an expensive trandfer case repair here...any advice?
    Last edited by wl_walker; 02-15-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: more info in title

Jr. Apprentice

I would have to say that the transfer case is shifting into the proper gear,but the central axle disconect on the front differential is not going in, there is a thermal activator on the front end on the pass side of diff that can go bad and wont engage the front end but the transfer case will shift you just wont be driving the front wheels this is temperature sesitive so if it was cold out it will take a little bit for it to fully engage,Chevy called this insta-tra, but it has become known as eventual-trac, if it doesnt go into gear after a little bit this part will probley need replacing

So how hard does this hit the checkbook?

And is this a DIY job?

you need to look into the front actuator if the transfer case engages and the front wheels are still super easy to turn in 4 low then the front axle is not engaging

So if there is a repair needed then his asking price of KBB excellent is too high...

most definately i wouldn't give 6,500 i found mine for 4000 with electric 4X4 and vortec motor look around don't buy on impulse

i bought mine for $7200 six years ago with 133,000 miles. the actuator ain't that much i don't believe.

Truth is, I would rather have a shift lever on the floor for the transfer case! I'l check this one out further then decide...thanks again for all of your input!
    Last edited by wl_walker; 02-16-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Jr. Apprentice

the last one i replaced was about 90 bucks from a local parts store there not to hard to change but it could be something as simple as a bad conection or somthing like that, the push button ist the same as actually feeling the transfer case ingage like the floor shifter but it isnt that complex if you actually look into it, the floor shift models of the same truck use the same central axle disconnect as the ones with the push buttons just to let you know, there is also a cable activated aftermarket kit for this that is kinda like a choke cable on roids to fix the eventual-trac problem

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by