GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default bose speaker swap

i'm new here but i was wanting to swap out my factory door speakers for some factory bose ones they sound alot bettr to me so the question is is it just the speaker thats the difference or do you have to swap the whole door panel over my trucks a single cab so what factory ones will it swap over with? thanks

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

The speakers are the same size and have the same plugs... It's just a simple swap out...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

I would think the factory amp or head unit would need to be replaced to push the bose speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    I would think the factory amp or head unit would need to be replaced to push the bose speakers.
    Not really... There isnt much difference between the factory delco GM speakeres and the Delco Bose speakers... They are both paper cone with foam surround...

thanks for the info i have a aftermarket deck (guess i shoulda mentioned that) the bose sounded alot cleaner when i've heard em bone stock and my deck overpowers the speakers and they justy rattle alot and sound like garbage quiet theyre good but i just want to be able to turn it up the odd time and have it not sound like my speakers are gonna blow up next check i'm gonna get a pair is it hard to swap? or just a few screws and plug in the bose ones?

Four screws and 1 plug on each speaker, simple swap...

But in my opinion, I'd change your speakers to an aftermarket set... putting another set of stock speakers (be they Bose or GM Delco) will not give you the clearity and precision that you're looking for... Even a cheap set of 6.5's from Wal*Mart will be better then stock... LoL

k ya i'll probably do that then instead i just heard a set of bose ones and i thought they sounded pretty good but walmart ones are probably cheaper too lol i'm gueesin they should just plug in as well or do i have to change anything? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2000 silvy View Post
    k ya i'll probably do that then instead i just heard a set of bose ones and i thought they sounded pretty good but walmart ones are probably cheaper too lol i'm gueesin they should just plug in as well or do i have to change anything? thanks
    With any aftermarket speaker you will need a wiring adapter... You can get them from Crutchfield, Best Buy, or your local install shop... But if you order your speakers from Crutchfield, you'll get them for free...

But if you dont want to do that, there is an easy trick for getting the polarity correct when you replace your speakers... If it's not labeled on the speaker itself (some do, GM usually does not... LoL), cut the wires off the plug leaving about 1-1.5 inches. Strip the sheilding off of the wire attatched to the plug. Now with the plug attatched to the speaker, take a 9 volt battery and touch the 2 contacts on the battery to the 2 wire leads you have from the plug. If the speaker gets "sucked in" then the polatiry is backwards. If the speaker gets "pushed out" then you have the correct polarity. Write down what speaker is positive and what speaker is negative for that door. If I remember correctly, each door has a different color set of wires...

thanks for the info so then i wont have to buy an adapter then? or do i still need the adapter?

You wont need the adapter if you use the methoid I described to test the polatiry...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by