GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999 Suburban Tune Up

Howdy,
    What are peoples recomendations for type/brand of items for a tune up?

spark plugs
    wires

Is the $70 Bosch wire worth it or are the $25 Mastercraft wires okay, etc?
    My Stay-At-Home Dad blog - http://nocodad.wordpress.com/

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Ive always been a Bosch man. I really like the the bosch platinum 4 plugs and bosch plug wires. Id also change the air filter and fuel filter. And id go ahead and change the oil while your at it because you cant change it too much. I was told by an old mechanic many years ago that "oil is the cheapest insurance they sell." So i stick to that.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Legend

I will tell you this and alot of others will too. The vortec motors can lose some by switching to a different spark plug other then the OEM. I can tell you when I bought mine it had the Bosch platinum in it and when i changed them out back to the OEM ac/delco plugs i got back 1.5 MPG and I still have those same plugs for 3 years now and no lose in MPG.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Vortec motors run very well on OEM plugs. Get iridium if you are not fouling plugs and then you can forget about them for awhile.

NGK, reported to be the MFG of the oem plugs is another good choice.

Depending on your motor; your plug gap should be .40, as revised by GM, instead of the .60 shown in your owners manual.
    2002 Tahoe LS 4x4 5.3 Flex Corvette Servo AVS In-channels JVC KD-PDR80 BB Engine Tune Front Mounted Receiver
    1984 3500 3+3 Crew Cab 350 w/Edelbrock 600 700R4 w/Corvette Servo & manual TCC AVS Surface Mount JVC w/Sub

x3.....On Going with A/C Delco Plugs & Wires.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Bosch +4 plugs are not only redundant, overly-hyped, and less effective, but also expensive. Working in a part house for 8 years may not make me an expert by any means, and ASE P2 certification doesn't mean mud anymore, but I have never had more complaints about a plug, Champions included, then Bosch plugs. 'Car and Driver' had a piece a year or so back about plugs that proved, in a 5.7 engine much like the one in your Suburban, that NGK Platiums not only give you the best preformance but also cost less then most designer plugs on the market. Do I personaly believe this, yes, but I have had good results from Autolite as well, which many consider a poor, cheap plug. Switching to an after market filter (I'm not a K&N fan, but damn it works well on this motor) will add some mileage per gallon. Never buy a chip off of eBay. NEVER. If you want to "chip out" your 5.7 the only way to go is to get it done right, which will cost some major money. Your looking five, six hundred big ones. If your looking for a basic, low maintance, low cost "upgrade" for your ride, get an after market air filter, NGK platium plugs, decent wires (Belden, found at Napa is a decent low cost choice, or whatever aftermarket company your buddies 'won't do without') a new fuel filter, cap rotor, and just take care to follow normal maintenece. It's pretty easy.