GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: corvette servo?

Master Mechanic

Default corvette servo?

has anybody here swapped out their servo on the tranny with a corvette servo for better shift firmness?the guy i bought my new hitch and console from told me it was cheap and easy.and he seemed to know what he was talking about.he had a NICE built 69 camaro, and 86 pickup hes about to swap the 350 out with a 5.3 from an 04.if its as easy and cheap as he says i may have my next project
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

I've heard about the "Corvette servo swap" , and from what I've read it's supposed to be really easy to do, just remove a snap ring and remove the old servo and install the new one. I think you lose about a quart of fluid in the process, no big deal, but sometimes the exhaust can cause accessibility issues, and you have to remove and install in pieces, also I've heard horror stories of not seating the snap ring properly and the pressure breaks the snap ring groove on the case, when done right it 's supposed to be a big improvement over the stock servo but I would imagine you're going to give up some transmission life? Hopefully Jimmiee will be able to shed some light on this subject, he's the man for tranny info!
    Adam

http://www.oregonperformancetransmis...de=NTP-K51828C
    http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/show...ighlight=servo
    Probably get in trouble for this, but I'm just trying to help you out. I bought these parts myself, but have not had time to put them in yet.
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by redneckarmyMP View Post
    has anybody here swapped out their servo on the tranny with a corvette servo for better shift firmness?the guy i bought my new hitch and console from told me it was cheap and easy.and he seemed to know what he was talking about.he had a NICE built 69 camaro, and 86 pickup hes about to swap the 350 out with a 5.3 from an 04.if its as easy and cheap as he says i may have my next project

The Corvette servo is the biggest 2nd gear servo made for the 700 / 4L60E. Some trucks actually came from the factory with this servo. Depending on which servo you have in your truck it will make the 1-2 shift firmer than stock. You have to ask yourself this question.

"Does my transmission need to shift harder into 2nd gear?"

If your truck has a sloppy 1-2 shift under medium to hard throttle then by all means change it to the bigger servo. On the other hand if your truck has a good 1-2 shift a "Corvette" servo will make it shift too hard. This hard shift will shorten the life of the sun gear shell along with u joints and other drive line parts.

Like Adam said the servo is very easy to install once the exhaust pipe is out of the way. Some trucks can be modified without dropping the exhaust and others can not.

If you have any other questions let me know.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Not to sound dumb but is this the only transmission that came in the 2003 silverado wtih the 4.8?

Cody
    Grand Prairie, TX
    2003 Silverado LS
    4.8 V8
    Helix Power Tower Throttle Body Spacer
    Cherrybomb Extreme single 3 in/dual 2.5 out dumped
    8000k HIDs
    3.73 gears
    BFG Long Trail T/A's

Default Re:

I got a 1-2 gear Vette servo installed on my 5.3L. I thought it was gna be easy but it was a little tricky on mine since the servo was right on top of the exhaust pipe. I had my buddy who has a transmission shop do it for me. Installing the servo is a bit tricky..there are alot of rings and seals to put back together since the servo is in a housing. Unless your pretty good with trannys and stuff I would take it to a shop bro. The servo is pretty neat...the shift firmness is good, feels way better with my exhaust cut outs open though!

I would take it in to a shop if I were you though
    Joser
    2001 Silverado 5.3L
    13% tint all around
    7" Fabtech lift kit w/ leveling kit
    HD front end conversion
    Blacked out Billet Grille w/ Black Bow-Tie
    33x12.5x20 on 20x10 Fuel Hostage
    Smoked out tail lights
    Dual Flow Masters/ Exhaust Cut outs
    K&N CAI
    Custom Tuner
    Corvette Servo
    180 Stat
    10K HIDs

"Spending money on things we dont need to impress people we dont know"

Master Mechanic

Thanks for the help guys.I'll research it a little bit more before I do anything.I'll let y'all know what I decide to do and post some results if I decide to do it.I think it should help me out quite a bit but then again I wanna be sure before I fix somthin that ain't exactly broke.thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by txsilverado View Post
    Not to sound dumb but is this the only transmission that came in the 2003 silverado wtih the 4.8?
    Yes the 4L60E is the only automatic transmission available behind the 4.8. The 4L80E was available in the 2500s.

Default i'm new on this block

Hello fellow chevy freaks.....i have been a long time suburban owner.......I own a 1987 3/4 ton 4x4 .....it has over 300,000 miles on the chassis and body......i'm on engine # 4 which is a 383 pushing a retrofitted 4L80E which has been in the vehicle since 1996 and rebuilt once with 175,000 miles on it.......I also changed out the rear end with a full floater back in the mid 90's with a new eaton locker......I'm double shocked and using rancho 9000's .....I'm using a 3" rancho suspension system ......all 4 sets of springs have been replaced at least 3 times ........Soon i will have the body redone and repainted...the interior is being updated now.