GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Do I need an Amp and Sub?

I ordered a new vehicle with radio provisions only (No stereo) it comes with speakers, wiring harness, and antenna. I decided I will go with an Alpine system and for starters will just get the head unit which I have picked out. It will be the Alpine ida-X303 and I will play it through the factory speakers for now. Then I will add the Alpins SPS-600 speakers.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=9212318
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=8699429
    Do I NEED an AMP and Sub? I am NOT into loud music at all. I like crisp clear sound and not BASS.
    I listen to Classic Rock, Classical, and Jazz, (I'm 48). Pretty much everything that is good, No bublegum pop, rap, or hip hop.
    Do you think a head unit and good speakers is enough for my needs?

That setup sounds good to me. Though I'm a bass adict my friend isn't, and her Acura Integra sounds really good with just a head unit replacement and no subwoofer

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

you should be more than pleased with that! i am a bass addict it can never be loud enough but if thats not what your looking for then this should be good! and if you decide that you would like a little bit more bass than what this system is offering you can always put a small 6.5" or 8" sub in afterward its not a problem but you should be fine!
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    2" rough country leveling kit
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    deep low profile took box
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    1000 watt hifonics sub amp
    4 6.5" hifonics door speakers
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn
    5 gallon air tank with 100% duty Viar compressor
    galls street thunder deluxe siren/PA

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

That system should be great for your application... No sub or amp needed...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Good
    I have a bunch of other stuff I need to do and pay for and I would rather not have to spend $1000+ on a car stereo setup. I'll get that head unit and run the factory speakers for a few months and then get those alpine speakers at some point. I like crisp clear sound. I like hearing the cymbals and wind instruments clearly and such. I have cranked the stereo for years and hurt my ears and hearing. No more. I learned my lesson. I'm 48 and don't want any more hearing loss. Normal bass is fine I am old school and listen to rock and not boom boom music and loud bass like you young kids.

I have to buy a carpet This is an AWD 2010 GMC Savana cargo van that I am customizing for camping/flyfishing/hauling my kayak. I have a floor carpet for the cargo area $170 and a nice berber carpet $120 for the front to buy. A paneling kit$600, insulation, I am having slider windows installed $800, and I want new offroad wheels and tires which will be close to $1800+?