GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WARNING: water leaks in NBS 07 silverado

Just a heads up to all you owners of the new body style 07 and 08 Sierras and Silverados ...I just noticed my truck had a smell of mildew inside and I found that I had wet rugs in the front and a bit in the rear. I checked all the TSBs and found none decribing what I found. Behind the rear seats there are two plastic vents( one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side behind the rear seats) that snap into the body sheetmetal and they were leaking water into the truck and causing the smell and eventually would have rotted my truck. My fix was to pop out the plastic vents( they are easy to pop out) and run a bead of silicone around the rubber seal that had already worn out with only 8000 miles. Then crawl under the truck reach up between the cab and the bed and snap the vent back into place I had to unbolt the rea seats to access the vents. You can check to see if water is starting to trickle in if you remove the seats and using a hose run water between the cab and bed and look inside for leaks I was shocked to see lots of water getting in the seal of the vents. My rugs were more wet in the front than the rear because the truck sits lower in the front and the water would run down under the plastic step sill trim and pool under the front mats and be wicked up by the padding under the rug and it would stay wet and start to mildew. If I did not smell the mildew I would have never known I had a leak in a basically new truck.

why didnt you take it to the dealership? quad cab or extended
    2008 silverado z71

Quote Originally Posted by erskine View Post
    why didnt you take it to the dealership? quad cab or extended
    Dealership would never have taken the time needed to find the cause ..I fixed it and I feel much better especially because I did not have to tie it up at the delaership and it is fixed right.... replacing the vents with new parts (only $6.00 each side) would most likeley have leaked again at some point. It is an extended cab but all the pickup trucks use the same vent system..

i have got the same problem and dealership told me its leaking thru the body panel?

the more i learn about these new trucks the more i love my 99 tahoe.

was re3ading on another site about this problem and it turned out to be the seal leaking around the third brake light hope this helps
    2004 Silverado 1500 2wd Ext. Cab

Quote Originally Posted by 08sierra60014 View Post
    i have got the same problem and dealership told me its leaking thru the body panel?
    Maybe it is leaking into your body panel somewhere but on mine it definitely was the vents and I have not had a single speck of water since I fixed the problem...Hope they fix your leak this is insane having a leak like this on a new truck.

which vents are you talking about Zekeman? the ones where the air from outside comes into the cab through the wiper trough, or somewhere else???

Quote Originally Posted by daddytech View Post
    which vents are you talking about Zekeman? the ones where the air from outside comes into the cab through the wiper trough, or somewhere else???
    There are two vents behind the cab between the bed and the cab you can see them if you look in the space between the cab and bed..They are plastic and mine fit very loose and were allowing water to leak into the cab and down along the floor pan to the front of the floor under the gas pedal and brake pedal the rugs were soaked everytime it rained. I thought it was a door seal or something buit it was those plastic vents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast