GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy77084 View Post
    How can I tell what trans I have
    Go to your Glove box and look for the One of Following RPO code's which means Regular Production Options.

GU5.....3.23 Rear Gear ratio
    GU6.....3.42
    GT4......3.73
    GT5......4.10

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Go to your Glove box and look for the One of Following RPO code's which means Regular Production Options.

GU5.....3.23 Rear Gear ratio
    GU6.....3.42
    GT4......3.73
    GT5......4.10
    thats rear end, if you have a pre 07 1500 series GM truck with 4 gears its probably a 4L60/700R4 of some sorts...but that RPO code will tell you.
    ROTARYENGINEPETE
    '07 GMC SIERRA SLT | Z71 | 4X4 | 5.3L FF

LIFT:
    ROUGH COUNTRY 3" PREMIUM SUSPENSION LIFT + ADD-A-LEAF
    18" ATX THUG WHEELS
    33" NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER TIRES
    EBC SPORT ROTORS
    EBC YELLOW STUFF BRAKE PADS
    LIGHTING:
    HELLA/VVME 4300K HID LOW BEAMS

HELLA BLACK MAGIC OFFROAD LIGHTS
    ANZO USA PROJECTORS HEADLIGHTS
    ANZO USA LED TAIL LIGHTS
    ENGINE:
    K&N 63 SERIES INTAKE
    MAGNAFLOW CATBACK D.O.S.I.F.T. EXHAUST
    BULLYDOG TRIPLE DOG GT TUNER

PULSTAR IGNITORS
    OPTIMA RED TOP
    DRIVETRAIN:
    YUKON 4.56 GEARS
    MAG-HYTEC DIFF COVER
    CORVETTE SERVO
    TRANSGO SHIFT KIT
    Z-PACK 3-4 CLUTCH
    REBUILT WARN XFER CASE
    BODY:
    RUNCOOL HOOD LOUVERS
    FULL WEATHERTECH VISORS/BUGSHIELDS
    DUPONT BEDLINER

DEEZEE BLACK DIAMOND PLATE BED CAPS
    BULLDOG LOCKING SPORT FUEL DOOR
    DOOR MOLDINGS REMOVED
    CUSTOM WIRE MESH GRILL
    BUSHWACKER BOSS FENDER FLARES
    CB THRU GLASS RADIO ANTENNA

5.5sec 0-60mph on pavement (5.2sec running E85), and a little less in 3 feet of muddy water

ok, i think you were just giving the gear ratios as an example LMAO

I have 171K on my trans. It's been beaten up and bruised due to the previous drivers. When I got her, the fluid was brown like chocolate. I just did a t-tech, which is a fluid exchange. She still runs strong, no hard or prolonged shifts.

My dad's 1995 have 232K when my brother parked it due to trans problems. My dad sold it 3 months later. The new owner drove it away. (I can only figure a clogged filter, and after 3 months the debris fell out of the filter, allowing proper transmission function)
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by rotaryenginepete View Post
    thats rear end, if you have a pre 07 1500 series GM truck with 4 gears its probably a 4L60/700R4 of some sorts...but that RPO code will tell you.
    My bad....I was what was I thinking....Brain Damage...thanks for Pointing that out......
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 02-20-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by campuscop2003 View Post
    I'm sorry, Its a 1998 Silverado Extended Cab 4X2 with the 5.7 Votec. No problems what so ever. Shifts great, almost shifts like a new trans.

Whats the story with the sunshell failures. reading around the net makes it sound as if the 4L60s are guaranteed to fail. I think my piece of mind would still be in tact if I hadn't wanted to research this trans.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the sun shell. What breaks them is high line pressure caused by converter slip codes. The root cause is the valve body wears and causes the converter to slip. Once the transmission sets a code like a P1860 or P1870 the transmission starts to shift hard. A lot of people continue to drive the truck in this condition which stresses the sun shell.
    The best thing you can do for your trans is to keep the fluid red. It's as simple as that. If you tow make sure you have an extra cooler. Most trucks with the tow option come with the extra cooler. If the transmission shifts good don't put a Corvette Servo on it as a Corvette Servo will make a good shifting transmission shift too hard. This causes early sun shell failure. Get your truck scanned for codes every once in a while. Codes can set without the check engine light illuminating. If your truck has lazy slip type shifts then install a TransGo kit. This will make your shifts crisp and prolong the life of your tranny.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by campuscop2003 View Post
    I have been doing some reading and have been getting extremely worried about the all the stories of the 4L60E failures. I currently change the fluid every 10K, with Amsoil ATF, dont beat on it. I plan to install a cooler this spring, I also only use OD when on highway. I drive in 3rd all the time other than stated.I also do not tow or haul. I am broke and if the 4l60 dies, I am going to have to junk the truck, and I love this truck. Is there anything else I can be doing to prolong the life of this trans. It currently has 145K miles and shifts like a dream.

I have been loosing sleep over this since reading online about the 4L60. Please help, Thanks
    just keep doing what you are doing , i dont know if you have to drive it around in third ,unles it shifs in and out of over drive alot the ams oil tf will help. and if you tow just take it easy off the stop lights that helps also

i have 216,000 miles on mine and has never been changed or rebuilt. the only thing i do to it is change the fluid and filter every year

Sr. Apprentice

M30 on the side of the trans would indicate a 4l60e/700r4. i do believe 1993 and older is 700r4 and 1994 and newer is the 4l60e.

Hi. Im new to this Forum and new to the GM world. I have always owned fords but love my 04 GMC Z71 crew cab with the 5.3 and GT4 3.73 and M30 4L60e. other than the short box its a great truck, but its having a few issues, mostly due to a wreck. Torsion bar issues mostly. but thats not what I wanted to ask. My truck has 69000 miles and shifts great.

The truck will be towing a 2500lb car on a 1200 lb trailer with about 500lbs worth of gear and fuel on a regular basis. This is the trucks life. I havent towed yet because I want to install a Temperature gauge for the transmission and change to a "deep pan" along with the usual fluid and filter change prior to towing. I have loaded it with about 3000lbs of gravel and drove around 40 miles (I know this is more than the payload, but it did fine) the transmission has never been serviced and seems to shift like a dream. I have noticed no problems.

My question is about the "deep pans" i have seen. alot of them are listed and 700R4/4L60e Pans. Are they interchangeable? I would think NO but thought I would ask.

My other problems are:

"Service 4x4" always pops up and when it does I cant engage 4 wheel drive. (I changed the incab switch) didnt fix it.

The Torsion bar on the drivers side seems to be shifting, I can feel in the brake pedal that the front left wheels is moving forward and back but I can see nothing "shiny" on the torsion bar end to indicate movement.

I have a slight rattle in the steering column when turning, when driving straight it tracks well and wont rattle or thump until I make a slight turn.

Thanks,
    Morgan Trotter
    SOCAL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast