GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

For your Service 4WD light. If replacing the switch didnt fix it and seeing as it is an 04 it is probably the encoder motor. Not actually the whole motor but the sensor inside the motor. That was the bigger failure for the 03-06.
    Jeep Recovery Vehicle.

cool. I read that somewhere. Does anyone have a part # for the encoder motor sensor?

It drives me crazy having to turn the truck off... then back on to engage 4 wheel drive. plus the message on the display is annoying too.

. It currently has 145K miles and shifts like a dream.
    do not change your tranny fluid any more. put in a can of additaves when the fluid starts loosing color
    Last edited by Loggerhead Mike; 03-03-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

Default ha 4l60e life

the 4l60e trans realy isnt a bad trans as long as you take care of your rig w reg maintenance ive been beatn on my 2000 k1500 sierra for 5 years now ive used this truck as a 1 ton loadin it up and pullin car trailer i bought it w 50k i now have 155k and i just now are haven probs w the trans , its at the shop now and it isnt blown it is just wear with the valve body so dont get scared !!! YOU OWN A CHEVY YOU HAVE NOTHIN TO FEAR just take care of it anything w last !!EXCEPT A FORD!!
    l:fighting0037:be smarter than what you are workin on

Default Torque Converter ?

I have a 2000 Chevy Sub 1500 5.3 with 135,000 on it. The trasmission just lost 3rd gear. My uncle (who is a mechanic) and I are currently rebuilding it. I am considering upgrading the torque converter, but still not sure which I should use (there are quite a few out there). I live in the mountains and climb about 2,000 feet every time I leave town to go home so I need something beefy for steep hill driving. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by campuscop2003 View Post
    I have been doing some reading and have been getting extremely worried about the all the stories of the 4L60E failures. I currently change the fluid every 10K, with Amsoil ATF, dont beat on it. I plan to install a cooler this spring, I also only use OD when on highway. I drive in 3rd all the time other than stated.I also do not tow or haul. I am broke and if the 4l60 dies, I am going to have to junk the truck, and I love this truck. Is there anything else I can be doing to prolong the life of this trans. It currently has 145K miles and shifts like a dream.

I have been loosing sleep over this since reading online about the 4L60. Please help, Thanks
    the amount of money uve spent on it so far, it seems like u could have rebuilt it haha. I just sold one with 265k miles that towed a trailer all its life. my buddy had one in his truck that had 380k when she went. just relax and drive it. and u can tow stuff u just have to be smart about it.
    1997 Chevy c1500
    Regular cab Shortbox
    4.3 Automatic (wish it was a 5 speed, but i'll get over it)
    157k miles

Quote Originally Posted by phillipakelley View Post
    I have a 2000 Chevy Sub 1500 5.3 with 135,000 on it. The trasmission just lost 3rd gear. My uncle (who is a mechanic) and I are currently rebuilding it. I am considering upgrading the torque converter, but still not sure which I should use (there are quite a few out there). I live in the mountains and climb about 2,000 feet every time I leave town to go home so I need something beefy for steep hill driving. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    If you want a really good converter that won't turn on your check engine light like some converters you can buy online, call Pro Torque. They will build you a converter that will will work with your truck and geographic location. Here's the link:

http://www.protorque.com/
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Jr. Apprentice

My 99 Ford F150 had the 6000 lb towing pkg. I was towing a 21 foot Cuddy Cabin boat at around 4K. Found the hard way that the Ford didn't have a tranny cooler on it! Had to rebuild the thing at $1200. I put a 14K lb cooler on it then. My Canyon has a cooler so I'm gonna put a trans temp gauge in it to monitor the temps. Right now in Ga the temps are running high 90s but I'm not towing anything now.
    Lew
    SW Georgia on the Alabama line

2008 GMC Canyon Crew Cab, I-5 2WD, Auto tran
    2004 Saturn Vue, 2L, 5spd.
    2005 Yamaha Majesty maxi scooter

US Coast Guard Auxiliary - America's Volunteer Lifesavers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123