GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: CB installation

Default CB installation

i did a search & found nothing. just wondering where u all r mounting ur cb's & anteenas! pix r welcomed! thanks in advance!
    Carl
    2005 GMC Sierra 1500, reg cab, 4.8 ltr, 5 spd, 4X4, Flowmaster 40 series w/3" exhaust pipes & 4" tips. ReadyLift torsion bar keys(part#66-3000), K&N air filter (soon to be getting a AFE Pro Dry S airfilter), & airbox mod .

While I'm really not a "cb'er" (licensed Ham operator) I thought I could add a few ideas for you....

I've seen people "mount" CB radios in betwen the seats... (buck seats obviously) if you can call it mount... The only suggestion I can come up with for location is whatever floats your boat.. I like my amateur radios down low so the light from the display doesn't become a distraction. Some options may be (depending on your vehicle ) a void space under the dash (I'm driving a 99 suburban and ttheirs space between where the dash dropps to the hump and the consol, again whatever suits you...

As far as powering and antennas go I would suggest a direct fused connection to the battery (easy to accoplish by just passing some a positive and negative batter wire thro the grommet at the firwall (be carful to put it thro the grommet not between the grommet and the metal and not to mess up any stock wiring harnesses... (also be sure to secure your the wires and keep them away from sharp edges of metal.... this will eventually wear the wire away and short out (this is the reason for the fuses being at the battery)... depending on you vehicle and the noise you may get in the reciever you may want to also add a noise filter.

Antenna locations varry.... i currently have a NMO mounted ant (again for ham not cb) on the roof rack of my truck.... It's worked for several years and has recently had some trouble... (their is a small hole drilled thro the rack into the vehicle to pass the coax(wire for the antenna) somewhere along the line it met some medal that I missed and I now have to completly replace the coax.... Perminent installs are much better than semi mermenant mag mounts... the best place for an antenna on a vehicle is in the center of the vehicle as much as possible (gives a good ground plane for the antenna to radiate off of)

Their are various types of mounts you can use depending on your vehicle (not sure if they make an NMO for CB's ) if you plan on a permentantly mounging this and are willing to drill holes google antenna install for cb and ham radio on trucks and see what you can find.... mirror mounts aren't a bad way to go but... again it's all preference ....

good luck with your install

Master Mechanic

i recently replaced my jumpseat with a center console and ive been thinking about mounting mine somewhere in or on the console
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Quote Originally Posted by rwslippey View Post
    While I'm really not a "cb'er" (licensed Ham operator) I thought I could add a few ideas for you....

I've seen people "mount" CB radios in betwen the seats... (buck seats obviously) if you can call it mount... The only suggestion I can come up with for location is whatever floats your boat.. I like my amateur radios down low so the light from the display doesn't become a distraction. Some options may be (depending on your vehicle ) a void space under the dash (I'm driving a 99 suburban and ttheirs space between where the dash dropps to the hump and the consol, again whatever suits you...

As far as powering and antennas go I would suggest a direct fused connection to the battery (easy to accoplish by just passing some a positive and negative batter wire thro the grommet at the firwall (be carful to put it thro the grommet not between the grommet and the metal and not to mess up any stock wiring harnesses... (also be sure to secure your the wires and keep them away from sharp edges of metal.... this will eventually wear the wire away and short out (this is the reason for the fuses being at the battery)... depending on you vehicle and the noise you may get in the reciever you may want to also add a noise filter.

Antenna locations varry.... i currently have a NMO mounted ant (again for ham not cb) on the roof rack of my truck.... It's worked for several years and has recently had some trouble... (their is a small hole drilled thro the rack into the vehicle to pass the coax(wire for the antenna) somewhere along the line it met some medal that I missed and I now have to completly replace the coax.... Perminent installs are much better than semi mermenant mag mounts... the best place for an antenna on a vehicle is in the center of the vehicle as much as possible (gives a good ground plane for the antenna to radiate off of)

Their are various types of mounts you can use depending on your vehicle (not sure if they make an NMO for CB's ) if you plan on a permentantly mounging this and are willing to drill holes google antenna install for cb and ham radio on trucks and see what you can find.... mirror mounts aren't a bad way to go but... again it's all preference ....

good luck with your install
    thanks for the info, im really wanting to steer clear of drilling holes in my truck. i figure ill get a friend to make me up some kind of bracket. i just gotta figure out where i want it at (gotta keep it outta the way for hauling my hay) & go from there!

If you look at the picture in the link provided by stealth, under the dash right above the gas pedal is where I mounted my CB....I drilled into the metal bracing to mount it. Right now I have a magnet mount antenna on the roof, but looking for options.....I saw somewhere where there was a bracket that mounts under your hood that you can bolt an antennae to that comes out from the cowl area to match your radio antenna on the other side.....I think it was on the GM-Trucks.com website.
    *Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Belly View Post
    If you look at the picture in the link provided by stealth, under the dash right above the gas pedal is where I mounted my CB....I drilled into the metal bracing to mount it. Right now I have a magnet mount antenna on the roof, but looking for options.....I saw somewhere where there was a bracket that mounts under your hood that you can bolt an antennae to that comes out from the cowl area to match your radio antenna on the other side.....I think it was on the gm - trucks website.
    cool thanks man!

Like I said (in way too many words...) it's all a matter of person preferance... I like my equipment mounted clean and together. Looks good ... easy to keep wires out of the way and doesn't go flying when someone cuts you off and you hit the breaks to the floor...Modt truck stops carry mirror antenna mounts and you can buy a decent antenna their while your at it( may be a little over priced) you can also look around online for mounts ... I know someone makes a mount that goes under the lip of the bed of the truck and is pretty secure.... I used one on my dodge for a while and it worked well.... no damage to the pain and no holes... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MARJORIE View Post
    I am installing cb in a ford van. 1998. Where is the best place to connect... You first must determine what sort of noise it is. If its a whine that speeds up and down with engine speed , then...
    If I understand your post corrently (your asking what to do about the wine) .... The noise your getting could be (most likely) from 1 of 2 places or both .... the alternator... or the fuel pump....

If it's the alternator you may want to try a direct connection to the battery..... (again fused at the battery and then you could find a noise filter which again goes at the battery..... If It's the fuel pump you may have to get involved a bit more.... before suggesting anything about the fuel pump I'd like to ask where your antenna is on the vehicle , how your power is set up (direct to battery or dc socket inside(cigerette lighter) and if you've tried disconnecting the antenna cable (coax) from the radio and idleing the engine.. see if the noise is still present?

has anyone tried running the cb wire (or any wire) through the cargo light to the roof? i saw a truck like that yesterday, but wasn't sure about water leaking.
    05 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71, Silver
    Rough Country Full Leveling Kit
    Alpine Head Unit w/ xm
    15% tint all around
    Westin Step Bars
    Kobalt Tool Box

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by