GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question Active Fuel Management

I am looking to buy a used silverado with 5.3L with active fuel management but have found many dealers don't advertise whether the vehicles have it or not. My father recently purchased a new 2009 silverado thinking just because it had the 5.3 it would have AFM but was disappointed when it was delivered and didn't. It is a real pain to call many of the dealers with used vehicles ask them and most of the time they have no clue or would just lie to get me to come in.

Short of opening the hood, is there something in the VIN or somewhere else on a truck that would indicate it has AFM? Is there somewhere under the hood that states it has AFM if I am able to?

They have an emblem on the rear that says Flex Fuel.

FlexFuel just means it can run E85 gas in it... doesn't mean it's got DOD/AFM...

usually, on the black plastic engine cover, it'll say right on it Active Fuel Management or Displacement on Demand
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 02-19-2010 at 12:57 PM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by chemcounter View Post
    I am looking to buy a used silverado with 5.3L with active fuel management but have found many dealers don't advertise whether the vehicles have it or not. My father recently purchased a new 2009 silverado thinking just because it had the 5.3 it would have AFM but was disappointed when it was delivered and didn't. It is a real pain to call many of the dealers with used vehicles ask them and most of the time they have no clue or would just lie to get me to come in.

Short of opening the hood, is there something in the VIN or somewhere else on a truck that would indicate it has AFM? Is there somewhere under the hood that states it has AFM if I am able to?
    I have an 2009 with the AFM and I think it's a joke. If it was so great why doesn't it go into the 4 cylinder mode when it's just idling. Don't get me wrong...I like the pickup but that's just my 2 cents.

Sr. Engineer

Majority of our customers ask for the AFM to be turned off.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

Legend

the dealers know, they are just being lazy. the AFM engine and the flex fuel engine are two completely different engines

i dont remember which is which but one is an iron block and the other is an aluminum block
    Last edited by vncj96; 02-20-2010 at 05:36 AM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by JennaBear View Post
    Majority of our customers ask for the AFM to be turned off.
    yep... I always disable it in my tunes for people as well...

I've actually gotten BETTER mileage with it disabled... heh..

Quote Originally Posted by donl View Post
    I have an 2009 with the AFM and I think it's a joke. If it was so great why doesn't it go into the 4 cylinder mode when it's just idling. Don't get me wrong...I like the pickup but that's just my 2 cents.
    because there are certain criteria that must be met before the DOD/AFM is allowed to kick in by the ECM... have to be at least over 20-30 mph, but under 80mph... has to be less than a certain amount of engine load... less than a certain amount of % throttle position... has be between a certain rpm range... has to be within certain amount of vacuum pressure... etc etc etc...

all of which can be tweaked in a custom tune to change the behavior of it... like making it go into DOD/AFM sooner, stay in 4 cyl mode longer, etc etc..

Sounds like more things to go wrong..

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    the dealers know, they are just being lazy. the AFM engine and the flex fuel engine are two completely different engines

i dont remember which is which but one is an iron block and the other is an aluminum block
    My 09 has AFM and is a Flex Fuel engine to burn the 85% ethanol crap that I'll never use.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by