GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question intermitent starting issues [Expired Topic]

would just like to say hello to begin with I am new here on the forum trying to find some answers. My wife drives a 05 equinox lt awd. Issue I am currently having is that the truck on occasion it will not start. Turns over fine and runs fine once I do get it started and I am not getting any dtc's so the dealeship can't fix it unless it is throwing a code. And of course it never does when I am at the dealership so I can't get any warranty work done without the check engine light. Anyone else experience any issues like this.

i brought mine into the dealership with the same thing...mine turned out to have a dirty throttle body.
    BUT while it was in though, they told me there was an update available to the vehicles software that corrects this problem. i obviously had it done the whole job cost me 70$ wich is very reasonable.

keep me posted
    Theres no truck like a GM truck :glasses:

Have had the same thing on my 05 equinox.
    took it in twice, and the second time they changed out the battery, few fuses, and one other detail for a fair fee (which i dont remember).

However, ive still had it happen again.

usually i just give the gas a small tap or so at start-up and she jumps to life, and ive never had a problem with it.

Supposedly, the problem may go even deeper than just replacement parts. one GM mechanic said that some of the computer mods on the 05 equinoxs have some flaws, and that some owners have had them replaced or updated.

My wife's 05 Equinox had the same intermittent start issue on a near daily basis. I basically sprayed the throttle body down with Carb Cleaner and used a rag to clean up as much of the carbon as I could reach. After I finished I noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response and we have not had the intermittent starting issues for about two months now.

whenever you do a TB cleaning, you should change your oil afterwards ... if you get the work done at a dealer, theres a good chance the oil change gets done before the TB cleaning, the work is done by 2 different people, the oil is done by a tech and the cleaning is done by a mechanic.

Update: Still haven't had the issue anymore since the TB cleaning.

Just curious about the oil change? Does the cleaner get ingested into the engine and into the oil past the cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by chevy_nox View Post
    Update: Still haven't had the issue anymore since the TB cleaning.

Just curious about the oil change? Does the cleaner get ingested into the engine and into the oil past the cylinders?
    your correct