GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 90 GMC K2500 Stereo Replacement

Hi guys. Since im unfamiliar with this dash, I was hoping some of you could post some pics or tips of yours.

okay. what I wish to do is put another stereo in here. Double din preferred, but not the only option. I am however trying to avoid installing it where the cassette player is. I would rather make the cassette player a larger cubby/stash hole. Is this possible? Pics of your setup or someones you know would be great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	58874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2900112391.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	58875
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0640.jpg  
    Chuckie!!!

None of you?

I've actually seen them where the stereo goes. Can't remember where at all though.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I tried like hell to put my Sony stereo in the dash Like your talking about in my 93 when I had it. I spent about half a day cutting the dash. Nothing worked. The stereo is just to wide to fit in the dash where your control unit is. I finely gave up and got an install kit at walmart. I had to go to a local car stereo shop and get a plastic pocket that fit in the hole where my original control unit went in the dash. I installed that and put my remote control for the stereo there. It worked out well after I got use to it.

I never use remotes. I figure I'll end up at a stereo shop that does fab work. :( I hate that thought

Sorry to burst the bubble going here, but no standard aftermarket unit will fit where the controls are at next to the gauge cluster. It's too narrow. That's why all searches will show any aftermarket unit being installed where the tape deck is now. It is the only place deep enough and wide enough.

I have an '89 K2500, and have asked this very same question on this forum before.

You can purchase a "pocket" to mount next to the gauge cluster. It will allow you to use it as a place to hold a CD or two, or any other miscellaneous items. Then you can purchase an adapter plate that goes where the tape deck and A/C vents are at to mount an aftermarket radio in that position.

The only other option that I have found is the Secret Audio system by Custom Auto Sound (found here - http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm). The controls for this system could be mounted next to the gauge cluster, and the rest hidden behind the dash. This system is mechless, meaning no CD player, so if you are set on a CD or DVD system, this won't work for you.

My $0.02
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!

Yeah, I figure I'll have to do some heavy modification to make it work