GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Gears: 4.10, 4.56 or 5.13

I am thinking about upgrading the gears in my 2003 Silverado 2500HD with 35" tires but I am not sure which would be the best set-up, the 4.10, 4.56 or 5.13 set-up. I found a web-site that says the 4.10 ratio is best for gas mileage, the 4.56 ratio is closest to factory, and the 5.13 ratio has the most power. I understand that with the 35" tires, upgrading to anyone of those ratios will be better than keeping the stock 3.73 gears. I'm sure there are many others on here that have been in my shoes, so I'm trying to find out which is the best route to take. And not to sound like a complete idiot, but how many gears would I have to get? The reason I ask is because I found DANA 5.13 ring and pinion gears for $134 and both DANA 4.10 ring and pinion gears and DANA 4.56 ring pinion gears for $129 but the image shows just "one".
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Blog Entries

from the research i have done in the past, 4:56's are the most common choice for running 35's
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Metaluzc View Post
    I am thinking about upgrading the gears in my 2003 Silverado 2500HD with 35" tires but I am not sure which would be the best set-up, the 4.10, 4.56 or 5.13 set-up. I found a web-site that says the 4.10 ratio is best for gas mileage, the 4.56 ratio is closest to factory, and the 5.13 ratio has the most power. I understand that with the 35" tires, upgrading to anyone of those ratios will be better than keeping the stock 3.73 gears. I'm sure there are many others on here that have been in my shoes, so I'm trying to find out which is the best route to take. And not to sound like a complete idiot, but how many gears would I have to get? The reason I ask is because I found DANA 5.13 ring and pinion gears for $134 and both DANA 4.10 ring and pinion gears and DANA 4.56 ring pinion gears for $129 but the image shows just "one".
    You will need two sets of gears( 1 Ring & 1 Pinion) front is a 9.25" IFS (AAM925) and the rear is a 14 Bolt 10.5" FF(AAM1050) plus Front & Rear install kits for the same Diffs. I would also agree that 4.56 would be you're best choice with 35's.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

I agree...4.56.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Thanks. Any suggestions on brands and pricing to complete the full swap to 4.56 gears? I'm guessing the installation/labor is the pricey part if I am unable to do it myself?

Thanks. Any suggestions on brands and pricing to complete the full swap to 4.56 gears? I'm guessing the installation/labor is the pricey part if I am unable to do it myself?
    I'd go with Motive Gears and their Master Install kits. I'm using Motives and am very happy with them. Most Master Install kits are pretty much similar, just make sure they use Timken bearings.

I recommend Tru Trac...I got Yukon gears and have not had a problem.

Talking

i had a buddy that raced his car in the quater mile he ran 5:13s wow they will give you a some get up and go, for milage the 3 73 but not ssure if they are good with 35 tires

Quote Originally Posted by scrappiedew1 View Post
    i had a buddy that raced his car in the quater mile he ran 5:13s wow they will give you a some get up and go, for milage the 3 73 but not ssure if they are good with 35 tires
    They'll work, but your highway speed is going to suck.

Can any "dummy" do this job at home if they have the right tools or how-to directions or is it easier to take your truck to a garage that can lift it up and do the work from underneath? I read another thread on this site and the guy said he paid close to $1600 for the full installation and I'm not too fond of that price considering I have high hopes for my truck in the future; power programmer, leveling kit, 6-CD radio, ram-air/cowl induction hood, would love a supercharger .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by