GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Backup Camera Review - Way, Way, Way Overpriced Coolness

Backup Camera - Way Overpriced Coolness

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share my recent experience of my backup camera purchase. I will not disclose the name of the company that sells the mount or kit; however, you will recognize it. I consider this product be "way overpriced coolness". The camera and mount sits below your bumper and just above your receiver hitch.

I purchased this kit to integrate into my aftermarket navigation system for a backup camera option.

Upon receiving the kit, the mount had several nicks in the powder coating and the hole that was cut for the camera assembly was jagged, sharp and should have been deburred and smoothed before mounting the camera assembly.

Upon research, I Google'd the sticker on the camera and discovered that the camera is a standard Boyo VTX100, which is being sold by the "kit company" as their "premium short camera".

I also chose the least expensive shipping method of USPS Priority Mail, which costs $17.30. The camera and mount arrived in a Priority Mail flat rate box, which I think is less than $10.00 at the Post Office.

So, to save a lot of money and have the same exact thing I bought for almost $300.00, you can buy the parts for the following:

Mount (from the "kit" maker) $64.00 (from the maker)
    Boyo VTK 100 Keyhole Reverse Camera: Est. Online Price $100-149.00

Total: $164.00 (+/- $49.00)

Estimated Savings of: $125

The Online "Kit company" Price: $289.00 (Mount and Camera). In essence, I could have saved $125.00 buying the mount from the "kit company" and then the camera online and drilled/cut a jagged hole myself.

I ended up having to debur the hole, sand and prime the mount (and eventually paint) as I'm sure it would have rusted in time and had rust streaks down the mount onto my hitch.

So do yourself a favor and take this into consideration before purchasing this "kit".

Pics, please note that I lightly sanded this mount before I took the pictures; however, you can see how jagged the hole was:

Last edited by Combat_Vet; 02-20-2010 at 06:06 PM.
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71/LTZ Crew Cab Duramax 6.6L HD / Allison 1000

Man, that blows. Does it at least have a good quality video?
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    Man, that blows. Does it at least have a good quality video?
    The camera has excellent ratings and is one of the best backup camera's out there. I wished I would have known which camera was part of the "kit", I would have bought it myself and bought *only* the mount from the "kit company".

I have not mounted it yet as the primer on the mount still hasn't cured, then off to wet sanding and paint. I also ordered some 1/8" split loom to protect the cable as it will be run along the frame rail.

It is a CCD camera, not one of the CMOS camera's which have terrible video. Boyo makes great camera's. If you are going this route, buy just the mount and find the camera online and save some $$$. You can drill the hole with a uni-bit or a holesaw.

I guess that I was just mad that a company would grossly overcharge camera when it is readily available for a fraction of what they are charging for it. Hell, I even asked about discounts and there were none to he had.

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

You should have tried Cubby Cam...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by TritonBoulder47 View Post
    You should have tried Cubby Cam...

Ummm... I wasn't gonna say who it was, but it is them!!!