GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2003 Suburban Instrument Cluster

Hello All,
    My 2003 Suburban speedometer has been pegged at 120+ for about 2 months now and I was wonderning how people usually go about replacing it or fixing the problem? Is there a recall? The truck only has 46000 miles, and thus far I have loved every bit of them. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever bought, but the quality of alot of the componets isnt up to par. Thanks, Jon

Legend

Have you had any trouble with the ABS, not kicking in when it should?

Does the spedo stay at 120 even with engine off, or does it go back to zero, then peg again once engine is started?

I would start with checking the speed sensor.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Default Chevy does have a recall with this issue

Hello, some weeks ago, I got a letter from Chevy stating the instrument cluster is being recalled if the speedo or fuel gage is acting funny. My fuel gage in my Sub 2003 has a different reading each time I start up the truck. I would suggest you call your local GM dealer and inquire about this recall.
    If you want more details, please email me at stprovost@provtechs.com
    The recall will replace the instrument cluster free of charge if certain conditions are met.
    the recall expires when you go over 70,000 miles.
    I have two thousand miles left, and you appear to have plenty of miles left to go.

thanks
    stephen

Quote Originally Posted by moondog84 View Post
    Hello All,
    My 2003 Suburban speedometer has been pegged at 120+ for about 2 months now and I was wonderning how people usually go about replacing it or fixing the problem? Is there a recall? The truck only has 46000 miles, and thus far I have loved every bit of them. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever bought, but the quality of alot of the componets isnt up to par. Thanks, Jon

I also have a 2003 with the same problem. I didn't think anything about it until I got a notice from Chevy that they have recognized the problem in many years and makes of thier product and recommend fixing but there is not a recall. If they know of the problem you would think that they would stand behind thier product and fix it but apparently not. Mine hasn't worked in over 2 years.
    Steph

Jr. Apprentice

watch because even when your going a lower speed the comp still thinks your doing 120 and that will slowly rack up extra miles.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc90 View Post
    watch because even when your going a lower speed the comp still thinks your doing 120 and that will slowly rack up extra miles.
    I believe that this might be true, get it fixed soon, you might want to take your truck to your local chevy dealer and ask about the recall because I got that letter also.

Thumbs up I had the same problem

I had the same problem with the speedometer in my car. I found a website where I had it fixed for $140. They rebuild the entire cluster the guy said that all the gauges in the instument cluster are driven by the same type of motors and that I should replacce all of them before the were out. It made sence to me since the rpm's gauge was beginning to act weird. anyways here is the addres in case you wanna check it out.
    http://www.speedometergaugerepair.com

There was a recall on the '03 I have an 03 2500, and it had been replaced before I bought it... I'm not sure you can still get the recall covered, but to my knowledge they replace the whole cluster.

-me-
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    2003 K2500 Sububan 6.0L w/Quadrasteer
    190,000 + miles

---------------------------------------------------------------

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by moondog84 View Post
    Hello All,
    I have the same problem but it only happens when its cold out waht can I do??

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    Have you had any trouble with the ABS, not kicking in when it should?

Does the spedo stay at 120 even with engine off, or does it go back to zero, then peg again once engine is started?

I would start with checking the speed sensor.
    No I have not had any problems with the ABS. The spedo stays at pegged even when its off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast